Supply of primers.

baldie

called in at Norman Clarke,s on the way to Bisley last friday. The new shop is an absolute treat, spotless, and well stocked with gear. As usual, Mick, and Dean , and a lovely Lady, who,s name i dont know, made us very welcome.

Their shelves are full of every primer i could think of, so we availed ourselves of some.

I can get most stuff trade, but love visiting other shops for a natter, and stuff we dont get/have. Normans is such a place, and well worth a visit.

On a different note, we called in at reloading solutions, later. i pulled up outside the front , onto a flagged area, so the van could be seen, as it was full of guns.

On getting out, i was berated by the owner, Aftab, and told in no uncertain terms, that i would be paying for any broken flags.

Three points here mate.

1. If you do not want people parking, with firearms, outside your shop, put up a "no parking sign".

2. It doesn,t pay to abuse new customers.....they never come back, and you have no idea who they are.

3. My friend had £400 in his pocket to spend on sinclair gear you had in stock. You didn,t get a penny of it.

Have done a few deals with Norman in the past ,he brings stuff down when he comes down bass fishing ,and as you have said he is a gent. ;)

I dont blame you Baldie not spending a penny at Aftabs ,theres a way of asking someone politely not to park somewhere :D

Yes, You are most likely right Tikka, everyone is entitled to a bad day. I have to say, the lady inside was most helpful, and pleasant, and she seemed embarrased by his behaviour.

i,ve dealt with them in the past, mail order and had no problems.

Its a nice shop, and the array of africa heads is very impressive.

Yes, You are most likely right Tikka, everyone is entitled to a bad day. I have to say, the lady inside was most helpful, and pleasant, and she seemed embarrased by his behaviour.

i,ve dealt with them in the past, mail order and had no problems.

Its a nice shop, and the array of africa heads is very impressive.

Bladie we have never met but were you driving a red van that Friday ?

Because I was parked waiting for my friend just across the road. He was over a hour late.

Anyway I saw Aftab talking to you I thougt that was because your wheels and tyres were on the kerb stone. I was not more than 20 yards away.

I also visited Norman's shop the week before and I did not get anything I needed. Thats why I drive all the way to Oxford the following week. I think for anybody serious about Reloading, there is no alternative but to visit Reloading Solutions or bow to the yanks.

Listen I really don,t think he meant anything bad.

Certainly his body language did not seem so at the time and I was quietly sitting across the road.

Should not let things like this worry you at all. There are more important things in life.

Aftab and his outfit if OK and gets my thumbs up.

Yes that was us. I think the wheels ended up on the kerb after i,d dropped it back.

It was being told that he was going to charge me, for any broken flags, that boiled my piss. No one, and i mean, no one, talks in that manner to me. I dont talk to other people that way, and expect the same courtesy. A simple, "please dont park there" would have done.

He will find in due course, that not having secure parking for vehicle containing firearms will cause him problems. i wont be calling again.

It makes you wonder, doesn't it? A half a dozen years ago I walked into a gun shop in Yuma, Arizona and picked up a Winchester Model 70, 30-06 and laid it on the counter and pulled out my wallet. I stood there for 30 minutes while sales people talked hunting amongst themselves or selected cronies. I finally put the rifle down and left. I didn't need that gun badly enough to be snubbed....~Andrew

It makes you wonder, doesn't it? A half a dozen years ago I walked into a gun shop in Yuma, Arizona and picked up a Winchester Model 70, 30-06 and laid it on the counter and pulled out my wallet. I stood there for 30 minutes while sales people talked hunting amongst themselves or selected cronies. I finally put the rifle down and left. I didn't need that gun badly enough to be snubbed....~Andrew

I had a very similar attitude at Litts in Newport a couple of years ago. they seemed to think they were doing me a favour letting me in. At the same time they had a guy picking a a pair of Perazzis and ordering another pair for the trophy wife, they were all over him like a rash. I was looking to spend £500 but in the event had 1000 shotgun carts and a pair of sale breeks they told me they did not have (I had to go and find them !) and that was it. They were advertising these nice breeks, they only had them in 26 and 52 inch in gents so they said, there was no mention of limited sizing in the add. Found a set in the ladies stuff.

I went to Normans a few weeks ago, at the time he had not compleated the gun display rack on the far wall but I felt the stock was adequate but spread a bit thinly. He did though have the BR4s I was after.

A

eldon,

A "straw purchase" is when someone in the U.S. buys a firearm in their name for someone else. This is very illegal, but difficult to enforce (since we don't have the license nonsense you guys have). Add to this that some "straw purchases" are perfectly legal (i.e. for direct blood relative (son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandson granddaughter) or spouse as long as they had no legal constraints against owning one) and you have a systems that is difficult to enforce. In my mind, they ought to just give up on gun control and let people arm themselves. You'd see crime take a steep curve down, mark my words.

Andrew,

That store wouldn't have been Sprague's would it?

308panther has a more correct definition. I often forget (must be the brain washing out here) that in other states a background check is only required for handguns. Here in California, it's on everything and there is a ten day "cool down" period on everything. :) Like I'm going to go buy a firearm to shoot someone when I already own...well...enough to start a small range war. :blush:

Thanks for the explanation.

Sure makes buying gifts for family i.e. wife for husband etc easier but I think it would seem very strange over here. Just guess its what your use to.

That systems never going to work is it because the son promises his mum he's now a reformed character etc etc.

Sorry to get so far off topic baldie.

Back to primers, for you american guys we now have to produce a licence just to purchase primers as without one you wouldn't have a reasonable need for them would you :)

I agree with ya Baldie,

and over the course of time your gonna hear a few more stories

similiar to yours about that dealer where the tone used wasnt called for.

Once is all it takes to keep a customer from returning.

Had a similiar experiance when shopping for a High Grade

Browning Superposed shotgun.

I walked into a gunstore I had never been in before on a friend's suggestion.

I asked a price,order fill time and the amount needed for a downstroke to order.

The shop owner looked at me and replied back with:

"Why are you askin,You cant afford one."

My reply back was, "You are never gonna know if I can or can't."

And I walked out.Havent been in there again and that happened 12

years ago.

308Panther

Some of the guys owning gun shops are a strange lot. I went to one of the local gun shops the only one for 50 miles that does reloading stuff. I was in scruffs but proper trowsers shoes and shirt. The owner spent 10 mins stalking me round the shop making me feal rather uncomfortable.

I went back 3 months later after I had been on the grouse moor in my Barbour tweed shooting suit and hunter leather wellies and the guy was all could not have been friendlier or more helpfull. All I thought was what a complete wan@er.

Dave

If you do not know the customer then I would start a conversation to get a feel for him. Usually gut instinct is not far wrong but anybody with a FAC/SGC has to be honest or risk loosing the aforesaid.

A

I have to say that I've yet to visit a gunshop/reloading supplier where there is a specific area provided for safe parking for vehicles containing firearms.

I would have thought the security of the weapons contained in the vehicle were the resposibility of the vehicle owner not the shop owner.

Perhaps a polite phone call to the shop before arriving, suggesting you have a vehicle containing firearms and is there a suitable safe parking spot available rather than rocking up and parking on the footpath directly in front of the front door unannounced might have brought about a warmer reception.

It's easy to slag off retail outlets regarding what you may consider a bad experience, but all the people I've ever spoken to regarding Reloading Solutions

have always responded positively. For most of us not involved in the trade, Aftab, Norman and other outlets of similar ilk allow us access to expert advice

and the chance to purchase what we require rather than mail order goods from an unknown source, and often receive nothing for months on end after having taken your money and when the goods arrive resemble something different to that which you originally ordered.

Nothing personal Dave, but with Aftab being the gent he is, I would imagine you were advised you had made a mistake and would be charged for any damage you might have caused, it would seem a fairly normal response from any property owner.

For any others following this thread, don't be put off using this outlet because of one persons unhappy experience, this is a valuable source of kit in the UK, run by an expert in his field, who I've always found will try to supply you with what you need rather than just something they have in stock to effect a sale.

Pete.

Archived