case prep

sniperkona

first of all and above all buy one or even better two decent loading books/manuels and read read read

mark

To be honest thats why i said two because by reading two or more books you get a better knowledge from a broader spectrum reloaders.

Mark

Guest varmartin

Lyman 600 Turbo tumbler ...£77.00 ...Ask some of the site sponsors and see if you get a couple quid off.

50 casses at a time in .308 not a problem....

It will be the best ££ you have spent....I have had mine for 5 years ...never skipped a beat !

Vanmartin,

I have the same tumbler, so I find it odd that you mention "50 .308 cases at a time"(?). Just my experience, but I get better results, loading the bejeezus out of the bowl. Even if I have only 50-100 cases that need tumbling, I typically will find some fodder brass (another 100 at least, depending on the casings) to toss in, just to fill the bowl. I'm using walnut media...perhaps that's difference?

Curious... ???

Oh and I concur with you on it's reliability. I've had mine for close to 15yrs and it just keeps ticking (though it's beginning to look more yellow now, as the sun bleaches it, as it tumbles outside...).

Guest varmartin

I use the `corn cobb` media....

I wouldent mind betting your is a 1200 ? my little 600 looks a bit full with 50 casses in it...or maybe i should remove some media ?

Hey..I also just read you can use liquid in the `600 `type bowl ??!!

Hmmm...not you've got me guessing what I've got! LOL! :D I do only add enough media to cover the cases, as I want just enough to get between them, but want the cases dense enough to use their own weight to rub the media against the adjacent case.

Snikeys, now I'm going to have to go home and look at what I've got... ;)

I used to spend hours with wire wool cleaning cases, now use a Lyman 1200 Pro tumbler, lob in a couple of hundred cases, switch on and come back in three or four hours to clean cases, one of the best reloading accessories I've bought.

Pete.

its really the cleaning of the cases, l dont want to spend a small forune on a tumbler, any othe ways?

Hi Mate,

For cleaning my 22-250 cases all I do is pop out the primer, run a pocket cleaner around the primer hole. Then I use something similar to this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97187

I use 50% warm water and 50% vinegar solution. I can get about 20 .22-250 cases into the ultrasonic cleaner at a time and they take about 4 minutes to come out shining.

Much cheaper than a tumbler. If you can rough up the surface inside of the cartridge with say a dremel or a bit of iron wool and then put it in the ultrasonic bath - so much the better.

I then borrow the grill out of the oven, and put the cases onto the grill over a radiator to dry out.

Hope this helps.

Darren

• 2 weeks later...

Archived