C/z .17 hornet.

moonfleet

I have been thinking of getting a .17hornet c/z has anyone  experience of this brand I have heard that they suffer from feeding issues but don’t know if this is correct any info would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks.

I don't know about 17 Hornet, but my two 22 Hornets feed well, as does my 204, 223, my two 6.5 Grendels , the 300 AAC and three 7.62sx39s. I have had a couple of bad magazines through the years but otherwise all was fine. If handloading, make sure you load them to fit the magazine with some clearance at the nose.

Be forewarned that CZ has dropped the 527 so find a rifle and pick up a few extra magazines. I recently took delivery of seven for the Grendel/ 7.62x39 when I spied them, in stock. I think CZ will continue making mags for a while but it won't last. ~Andrew

• 1 month later...

I bought a new CZ527 17 Hornet thumbhole 24" last April. No cycling issues, but the spring in the magazine was very stiff and getting a fifth round loaded was very difficult. I made sure the magazine was fully loaded when not in use and, after a few months, it became possible to load that fifth round by hand. Love the rifle and the calibre.

On 1/4/2022 at 11:49 PM, Andrew said:

I don't know about 17 Hornet, but my two 22 Hornets feed well, as does my 204, 223, my two 6.5 Grendels , the 300 AAC and three 7.62sx39s. I have had a couple of bad magazines through the years but otherwise all was fine. If handloading, make sure you load them to fit the magazine with some clearance at the nose.

Be forewarned that CZ has dropped the 527 so find a rifle and pick up a few extra magazines. I recently took delivery of seven for the Grendel/ 7.62x39 when I spied them, in stock. I think CZ will continue making mags for a while but it won't last. ~Andrew

Blimey, someone else who owns a Grendel, don't you just love them? Mine's on a CZ527 action with a Pacnor stainless tube at 22". I do have occasional feed issues and tend to load four and not five rounds, but for a light and effective, mid-range small/medium deer and fox rifle its sweet. I run mine on Nosler 100-grain Partitions and Viht N530 powder.

I have a pair of CZ bolt guns I shoot regularly. One a 2020 American Varmint and the other a 2019 vintage standard American. Love them? You bet. I hunt deer with the standard American using Sierra 120 grain Pro Hunters over LOVEX D073.6. Highest velocities and enviable accuracy. I'm getting 2685 fps with a grain and a half left to go in the load data.

For Target I shoot the Nosler 123 grain Custom Comps. They are as accurate as I can hold and I have used them off hand on steel plates at 700 yards with good  consistency. (Didn't hit them all the time but I called the misses) I have shot 1/2 MOA from my back pack at 200 with these bullets. Same powder, by the way. Half a grain less.

For varmint i shoot Sierra 85 grain HP over H335. Haven't chronoed them but they are in the 2900 range I'm sure. Accuracy is superb.

I am glad to hear someone else likes the Grendel. I am in the US but I have opined that if I had to live in the UK I would shoot a Grendel. As a friend of my once said, it "...hits above its weight class"

True enough. ~Andrew

• 5 months later...

i have one awesome little gun, but sometimes the feed is quite hard, i do believe this is down to the powerful spring in the mag,  ive tried to find a plastic alternative but haven't had any luck,

but dont let the mag put you of, i take crows out easily at 250 with 20g v max.