If you google WMS firearms, I think it's what your after.....Diggle also do steel I believe at 400ish, as do many other private 100+ CF ranges. Also military field firing areas (google FCSA) offer falling ETR type targets.

DO NOT GO TO WMS FIREARMS ON THE GOOGLE LINK.......THEY HAVE A BACKDOOR TROJAN VIRUS IN THERE SOMEWHERE.

Just taken me ages to sort it. ;)

Scotch,

Centrefire Metallic silhouete shooting (chickens, turkeys, pigs and rams) as its known in the USA is not shot over here due to the huge aversion to falling steel targets and safety fears.

Diggle has a steel plate box and the military have falling ETR type targets, the big difference is that these targets are attached to frames, brackets or something, where as the silhouettes just stand on platforms and have to be toppled to score.

You can blame the british NRA for this very popular discipline not being shot over here as they were the first to condemn it as unsafe.

Ian.

Diggle does indeed have plate boxes Ian, but they are free standing 12" and 6" plates used in them.

The NRA must have come round a little, as the animal silhouettes were shot at the two phoenix meetings prior to last years. They were over subscribed the last time, and it was due to pressure from other shooting factions, that saw them removed from the few points on stickledown, that they occupied, and that was a great shame indeed. I,d just rigged up a gun specifically for it, and we had been practising like mad on my own set of smallbore animals, i had made up.

Weve never had a ricochet yet off them, they just get knocked into the sand butt.the weight of the silhouette, robs the bullets power, as its free to move.

I would love to have a go at fullbore silhoette, out to 500 yards i beieve it is ?

Anyone who has tried smallbore silhouette will vouch for how difficult it actually is, but great fun.

Dave, i am aware of the smallbore silhouette shooting but i was talking about the fullbore stuff, this will never happen at Bisley, not only because of the safety aspect but because its too much fun!!

A hugely popular and growing discipline in the USA is BPCR silhouette, shot with any black powder cartridge rifle with an exposed hammerand a cut off date of 1896.

The targets are Chickens at 200m, Pigs at 300m, Turkeys at 285m and Rams at 500m, the reason that the distances are in metres is becaise the silhouette game originated in Mexico who use the metric system.

Hi-power silhouette is fired off-hand with optical sites, in BPCR you are allowed to be supported but must use peephole sights.

The favourite shooting position is sitting supporting the rifle on cross sticks (from what i remember Bisley wont even allow this position) and the targets have to toppled off the stand to count and with the rams weighing about 40lbs you need a suitable calibre to knock them down.

This is one discipline i would pack up everything else to compete in.

Ian.

Yep, the fullbore version would be a blast, Ian. I would love a go at that, maybe one day, as my shooting buddy and I plan a couple of weeks shooting in the states in the not too distant future.

i believe the sport originated from Pancho Villa, and his men, who played the same game, but shot at live animals instead, in mexico.

This is a good site.

www.steelchickens.com

Archived