Redding competition neck dies

Toby

Have seen that quite a few people rate these dies.Anyone have any comments about them.I realise that they are pricey compared to the Lee collet die,are they that much better?Also,do you need to lube the case if you use the nitride bushings?

Would like to hear a bit about these too, I am looking into getting a competition seater die and a competition neck die + a body die set.

Toby, Craigy,

Redding Competition dies are arguably the best conventional press dies you can get.

The neck die utilises an interchangeable bushing to exactly size the neck of the case to the diameter you want.

It allows you to set neck tension to the size you want not what is built into the die, however to utilise to there full potential and to achieve consistent neck tension light neck turning must undertaken or very high quality brass must be used.

The case is held concentric in the die by a precision fitted sliding sleeve, honed into the die body.

An easily adjustable .001"increment micrometer head is fitted with which you can adjust the length of the neck you want to size

http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/compbushneckdie.html

The bullet seating die works on the same principle as the sizer in that again the case is held in a sliding sleeve within the die body, this time the bullet seating stem is micro honed to float within the sliding sleeve, thus ensuring total concentricity between the bullet and the case neck

This die also has a micrometer head which acts upon the seating stem to control the seating depth of the bullet again adjusted in .001" increments.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/compseatingdie.html

These dies load very consistent and superbly accurate ammo but many will say you don't need them for anything other then a competition rifle.

I am of the opinion that you should feed your rifle the best ammo possible, which means handloads, and that you owe it to your self to load the best ammo you can.

These dies will help achieveing that but if you don't have the apptitude, or are not up to the tinkering involved to get these results, then stick to standard dies or factory ammo.

Ian.

Guest varmartin

I also use them...and for that matter so does every one else I know and shoot with. ;)

`S` type or the Competition, quality is always there with the best of them.

Martin

Hi. I use them for my 6ppc and they are wonderful pieces of kit. Have just ordered another set in 6mm Rem 40 improved and I expect them to be the same quality. They have reduced the runout on my loads to as near zero as poss compared to standard dies.

z

Seonded re runout for the Redding Comp Dies, I loaded some 25-06 and 6.5x284 for a comp at Otterburn last weekend - checked the runout and found there to be less than .0005" on every bullet in either calibre - no that isn't a mistake less than half a thou runout!

Compared to 0.010" - 0.020" for a mates 22-250 that I used RCBS dies to load.

With the current exchange rate, it makes sound financial sense to buy stateside.

Archived