Rifle weight VS Recoil

Hey guys. I've spotted a nice .300WM rifle and I'm wondering what the recoil is likely to be like. I'm not overly sensitive but have been told the .300 can be a little sharp!

The gun I'm looking at is a CZ. It weighs 9.9lbs unscoped which is about the same as my .375H&H. I've been told the Win Mag is harsher than a .375 though? Is that true? I get on fine with my H&H as long as I only fire 20 rounds or so.

Is a 10lb gun heavy enough to soften it down to an acceptable level? I've fired light weight .270s and .308s with no real complaint.

njc,

Harsh is a nebulous word. Sharp is what I'd call a 300 mag. I've not shot a 375, but I've shot plenty of shotgun slugs and heavy loads which are about the same energy. The big, heavy, slow loads start pushing on your shoulder from the time the pin drops until they get to the end of the barrel. The faster loads (300 WM) do the same, but they are in the barrel a lot less time. So while two rifles may have similar recoil energy, the 375 at 2300 fps is in the barrel 33% longer than a 300 WM at 3100. That means the impact is distributed over more time, thus the max force you receive is less.

An 11 lb 300 WM will be fine on game(don't forget your scope will be 16 oz or so). With a moderator it should be decent on a target.

Thanks,

Rick

Your 9lb 300 winnie will produce a few ft lbs less recoil than the 375, there really wont be much in it.

Shoot the WM with a brake on and you can spend 100 rounds or more without problem.

I recon (from internet sources) that the WM will have 38ft lbs recoil and a similar weight 375 will have around 42ft lbs.

I don't really understand recoil to be honest. The way I feel it doesn't really make sense to me.

I can shoot my H&H no problem. It kicks like hell and I almost take a step back, but it doesn't make me flinch. I can do the same with my mates .444 marlin-light gun and 3000ft-lbs of energy, still no worries! My Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 gets to me the most. I had to shoot it a lot before I accepted the recoil and stopped snatching the trigger! I can shoot all my guns fine now, but it took some work.

Could it be gun fit? The H&H gives me a very obvious punch when I fire it (it's a heavy recoiling gun) but I don't find it a problem. I'm hoping that because my H&H is comfortable and the WM is pretty much the same gun bar the calibre I will get on with it ok.

Maybe it's the speed of the recoil that I notice? The 6.5 is quite snappy, the .375 and .444 is a slow but heavy thump. If so, the WM will be an eye opener! Maybe I should get a mod for it!

If you find the 6.5 snappy make sure and never get yourself a lighweight .270 :ph34r:

Pete.

Funny you say that. I shot a mates T3 hunter .270 in Canada and didn't find it that bad. Maybe because I had about six layers of clothing on!

Guest varmartin

Stop being a big girl and get out and treat your self.....

You wont notice the recoil if your shooting game, much the same as you didn't feel a smack in the mouth when you had a scrap at school......until after tuck break .LOL

You wont notice the recoil if your shooting game, much the same as you didn't feel a smack in the mouth when you had a scrap at school......until after tuck break .LOL

:ph34r:;) ;) :D:lol: :lol:

Love it!!! :lol: :lol:

Oh right, like that is it! I'm known for being rather blunt myself at times so I can hardly complain. At least you're speaking your mind.

I'll buy the gun and shoot it, that's the only way to find out.

Just as an added note I never got hit at school. I either avoided trouble or if they wouldn't be reasonable, floored them before they got to me :ph34r:

Maybe this new rifle will give me my first ever black eye ;)

Oh right, like that is it! I'm known for being rather blunt myself at times so I can hardly complain. At least you're speaking your mind.

I'll buy the gun and shoot it, that's the only way to find out.

Just as an added note I never got hit at school. I either avoided trouble or if they wouldn't be reasonable, floored them before they got to me :ph34r:

Maybe this new rifle will give me my first ever black eye ;)

Thats my boy!!! ;)

Like most things , depends how much the rifle weighs to caliber ( muzzle breaks and sound moderators help reduce it ) and like yourself - i believe the stock design counts too!!

Either way , go and have fun........

All the best................

RAY................................. :lol::D

The first time I went to Africa I took my Weatherby MK5 8X68s firing RWS 187gr copper hollow-point bullets.

Each time I shot something the rifle reared up and belted me , I killed all my animals though but had the ring of incompetence on my forehed for weeks and Christ it was sore .

For my second trip I took a Sako TRGS .300 Win. Mag. firing Nosler Partitions , 180gr weight .

Again everything was dead but I had NO problems with that cartridge even though I am a ten-stone geriatric weakling !

HWH.

I too had a Sako TRGS in .300 win mag and agree that its ok on recoil which I think is alot to do with the McMillan stock that the TRGS's were fitted with. Having said that, I mostly used a muzzle brake which made it a pussy cat to shoot (except for the noise). Still got the TRGS but its a 7mm Rem Mag now. If you buy the CZ and find it difficult to shoot then do something about it as soon as possible ie; moderator/muzzle brake/new stock, its no good being trying to be a hard man while developing a flinch from hell that will then haunt you when you shoot all your rifles.

That's funny. According to that calculator my 6.5 is 17ft-lbs of recoil, the .300 would be 25 and the .375 is 35.

Being fair to the idea though I have found the 6.5 a lot more soft shooting since I started using the .375. Maybe it's just what you get used to? :lol:

That's funny. According to that calculator my 6.5 is 17ft-lbs of recoil, the .300 would be 25 and the .375 is 35.

Being fair to the idea though I have found the 6.5 a lot more soft shooting since I started using the .375. Maybe it's just what you get used to? :lol:

Or maybe it is expectation. When you started with the 6.5, you were probably told that it is a light recoiling gun. You hadn't shot much aside from rimfires or small 22's previously. Going from a rimfire to a centerfire is a bigger mental jump than going from a medium bore centerfire to a big bore.

Thanks,

Rick

I must admit that the first time I pulled the trigger on a 6.5 I wondered how the **** such a small projectile could kick so bloody hard! Previously I had only fired a .22lr and a shotgun and thought the shotgun must kick much harder. I soon learned the the rifle recoil was much more obvious, maybe because you have to be so much more calm and still when you pull the trigger than you do with a shotgun? You can snatch a shotty trigger and still hit well.

Varmartin's just about got it l think, you won't feel it half as much when in the heat of battle.

l spent a day last week helping an extremely good friend to load develope for two WinMag's and must say that l learned an awful lot. 1 had a muzzle break (varmint weight barrel + sporter stock) and the other an end can (straight tapper + AICS). What l found was that the muzzle break made the rifle move to the left under recoil (about 3") and the end can came straight back at me. Neither were in any way hard to shoot, and when you're concentrating on the target you hardly notice the recoil, well what's left of it after the end can and break have done their work...

The Win Mag's like's the girl you always fancied at the disco, get hold of her and show her you mean it..... Don't get all nervous and just tickle her up or she'll slap you.....

I've been thinking a limbsaver pad and a moderator would help. I may get one of those Predator 12 jobbies that Andy Banner makes, that's a big old mod! I don't suppose the P8 is any good on a .300? It says up to .308 so it may not be?

Hi

I have a 300 WM in a contender pro hunter with a wildcat mod. With out the mod it is a bit of a kicker. But it is sweet to shot with a mod on it. I am looking to put a muzzel brake on it if when I arrange my blackbear hunt.

Dogfox

Hi

I have a 300 WM in a contender pro hunter with a wildcat mod. With out the mod it is a bit of a kicker. But it is sweet to shot with a mod on it. I am looking to put a muzzel brake on it if when I arrange my blackbear hunt.

Dogfox

dogfox,

What make is a contender pro hunter? Do you mean an encore prohunter?

Thanks,

Rick

Archived