Unique UPG-1 Rifle

Mike 01

Hi, has anyone got any experience of the Unique UPG-1 that they are able to share? UPG-1 - Unique Alpine (unique-alpine.com)  If so, how do you think the UPG-1 stacks up against the Tikka TAC A1, in terms of build quality / accuracy / reliability? I handled a Unique UPG-1 recently at my RFD and thought it seemed very similar / comparable to the TAC A1.  I like the fact that the UPG-1 uses AICS magazines.  Thanks.

Thanks Ewen and that's helpful, I may well be in touch.  As you can probably guess, I'm interested in any published reviews on the UPG-1, or of course any user feedback. I did find a review at all4shooters.com which was favourable, but that's the only one I could find.  At this rate, I'll need to buy a UPG-1 and write a review myself!  Fundamentally, the things of most interest to me are grouping capability and also the reliability of feeding, including when the bolt is operated very fast (i.e. faster than for normal deliberate work, for snap-shooting / McQueen style etc).

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I probably have a bit more experience with this rifle than most.

I supplied a UPG 1 in 6.5 CM to one of my clients; provided to me by Ewen's company.

I have since seen the rifle shot extensively, and competed against it from short range out to 1200yds+; both for informal long range plate shooting and more formal competitive range work.  With customised hand loads the rifle is capable of comfortable 0.5moa performance, this particular one likes the 123gn scenar.   

The rifle has performed exceptionally well and functions flawlessly, it appears to be 'gamekeeper proof' and can tolerate hard work and abuse. 

There was an initial, very early issue with the extractor; however, this was quickly sorted by Ewen and Unique Alpine who designed and supplied a heavier duty extractor in a matter of days, this extractor is now supplied as standard in the rifle.  

I will not be selling my AI AX in 260 rem to buy one just yet, but ( in my view) the quality of the UPG is on a par with the AI, and better than the Tikka Tac. I don't dislike the Tikka Tac, but if I was choosing which to buy now between an AI, the UPG and a Tikka Tac I'd go fo the UPG as the best performance/cost balance having handled and shot all three...for what it's worth, that's my view.

If you've any more specific questions, drop me a PM.

Paul