Powder dispensers, how reliable?

Ronin

I have a Lyman 1200, it struggles with long extruded powder (RL25 to be specific)

Basically the trickler gets stuck whilst dispensing and it jams, leading to frustration - so much so, I may use the damn thing as a traget....

I wonder how the RCBS version fares with long kernal powder.

I am throwing up to 96grains with this and am considering getting a Harrel or the RCBS chargmaster....

Anyone advise on alternatives?

Anyone looking for a Lyman, at the moment it has no extra holes ;)

I've tried both RCBS and Redding measures and they're both hopeless, even with the tart kits sold by Sinclair. I use them only to throw an underweight charge to be trickled up. My RCBS electronic scales are upset by fluorescent lights so I'd hesitate to go for an electronic powder measure/scales as a way forward.

On the other hand my Harrell is brilliant although I've not used it on extruded powders.

Cornishman.

Cheers so far chaps.

Er, anyone want to swap a Harrel for a Lyman DPS 1200 ;)

Alternatively, anyone know who is selling a Harrel over here as the exch rate is pants I may as well get one in blighty. (I would be looking for the 120g throw model)

I use a Harrel, only throw small (30gr ish) loads of ball powder (N133), throws plus/minus .1gr. Good technique may improove this but I still throw light and trickle up.

A

I have a Lyman 1200, it struggles with long extruded powder (RL25 to be specific)

Basically the trickler gets stuck whilst dispensing and it jams, leading to frustration - so much so, I may use the damn thing as a traget....

I wonder how the RCBS version fares with long kernal powder.

I am throwing up to 96grains with this and am considering getting a Harrel or the RCBS chargmaster....

Anyone advise on alternatives?

Anyone looking for a Lyman, at the moment it has no extra holes ;)

i have a RCBS if you want to try it i will send it you for a couple of days.

all so have a set of Scott parker tuned rcbs 10 10 scales.

let me know and i will box her up

ATB

Colin

Hi Ronin,

The best is Prometheus, made from unobtanium or possibly a Prometheus - made from the same material.

Any culver / volume type thrower with large quantities of extruded powder is not going to be as accurate as you would want.

Several half-way houses exist, Forster and B&M (Bell&Mulling) which have a separate transfer port for the powder. Other than that a JDS Quick Measure, which looks a better mouse trap, better but still not good enough to not weigh charges after.

http://www.precisionrifle.org/Product-Revi...ickMeasure.html

I go around in circles with this - not yet found much to beat dumping a light charge with a RCBS powder thrower (mechanical) and using RCBS 10-10 scale to weigh up.

David.

Andy,

I use a Harrell and with small grain powders such as N133 it is absolutely spot on every time. N140 is not too bad but with N160 and N560 it is not as reliable.

However, having said that , I did a test where I threw a number of batches and weighed them exactly and then threw the same amount of batches straight from the Harrell ( this was with N160 ) . When I shot them, although the ES on the non-weighed batches was larger than the weighed batch there was no noticeable difference in accuracy.

Ah ha

edging towards Harrel, but will attempt the upgrade on the DPS first I think..

I'm told that the Harrell brothers are very good to deal with if you just phone them up. That is to say they are helpful with the packaging and description of the goods.

Current US concerns about any firearms-related exports this situation might have changed this but worth a call.

Cornishman.

Ive ordered the upgrade kit for the DPS 1200, but if being honest will probably sell this and buy a Harrel.

Ive been using Harrels brakes for a while and see no reason why I cannot order a measure direct.

As the current uk price is circa £280 when I checked the other day :D

i use a Harrell and boy are they good .once set up they are bang on every time the only time they are out is when a long bit of powder gets cut in half ..then i just throw it back in the top and throw again .

Archived