"Varmint" and long range target load?

Scrumbag

Hi folks,

In my quest to develop a "suite" of loads for my 1:9 twist 223 Rem bolt action, I am looking for a longer range target load and a varmint load.

I was reading around the internet (always a dangerous idea) and I wondered if I could use the same bullet for both?

So I have 2 questions:

1) Has anyone used the 60gr Sierra TMK for varmints and how's you find it?

2) Has anyone used the 60gr Nosler Varmint Ballistic tips for longer range shooting?

Follow up question: Does anyone have any other suggestions?

My rifle is a CZ527 and handles 5.56 NATO pressues fine so I would think I would use Ramshot TAC or Exterminator so should be able to run them ~3,100 out of the 22" bbl.

ATB,

Scrummy

14 minutes ago, stephentri said:

I have used 69 and 77 grain TMK out of my .223  1:8 twist both good on varmints

Cheers Stephen,

I've had good luck with the 160gr TMK in my 7x64 so seems to be a good line of bullets.

I'd consider the 69 or 77gr but with the 1:9 you get a slightly interesting reading out of the stability calcs.

ATB,

Scrummy

Hi there 

looking at Brian litz book 77 grains are at the limit of stability for 1:8” so for 1:9” twist stick to 55 to 69 range . These are figures to get over the 1.5 threshold which is considered the minimum for stability . All depending on how fast your running . Try lots of combinations you never know what’ll work best . 
good luck 

18 hours ago, Richiew said:

Hi there 

looking at Brian litz book 77 grains are at the limit of stability for 1:8” so for 1:9” twist stick to 55 to 69 range . These are figures to get over the 1.5 threshold which is considered the minimum for stability . All depending on how fast your running . Try lots of combinations you never know what’ll work best . 
good luck 

Cheers Richie. I'm looking at a few options for this. The choice of a 60gr tipped bullet is pretty much decided by using the Berger website calculator.

Just if I can combine a varmint and an LR target bullet, so much the better (As I'm going to target a 3,100 fps muzzle velocity I should think will be flat enough shooting for my needs)

ATB,

Scrummy

Hi there 

I’ve loaded some 52 grain amax up for use on Wednesday so I’ll let you know how they go . Also bought 55 and60 grain bergers to try later and some 73 grain longrange boat tail which look very smooth and aren’t to much over the 69 g mark . Berger 64 g give a 2.00 in a 1:9” twist. Hornady 68 g bthp pointed should be ok .69 g scenar s = a 1.6 stability , nosler 69 g custom competition ,65g Sierra gameking,69 g matchking , all hit the greater than 1.5 . 
Good luck 

I have an accurate load for the Sierra 65gr Gameking SBT but not tried it at long range yet. Was wondering if I could get something that would open up easier on foxes as think the 65gr SBT being a "deer bullet" might be a bit hard for foxes etc if you don't hit a major bone.

Scrummy

• 2 months later...

It’s been a while .

52 g Amax good with 24.5 grain n135 dents my 5mm plate without passing through so a good dump of energy . 60 grain Berger varmint are very good on animals but a bit hot with 25 grains same powder. Moved to 24.5 and all ok  . 22.5 grain of same with 73 grains bergers very accurate but not tested on fur yet . 70 grain Berger vld s with 23 grains n135 very good accuracy but need to be close to the lands 10 thou was ok 5 thou jump even better . 
cheers