A friend has today has his renewal FEO visit. He has applied for and got a 17HMR plus moddy for longer rabbits, he is thinking of a SAK moddy for it or maybe a T4. Without getting into a punch up has anybody used these on HMR, if so how did they get on and what about any others used.

Thanks

A

Pete jackson will not sell a t4 or t8 for use on a rimfire. rimfires, including the 17hmr leave unburnt powder in a mod, and there have been cases of people then putting the said mod on a centrefire, and the firing of the centrefire has ignited the unburnt powder left by the rimfire.

You can use "too much mod" where the internal volume is too big for the cartridge, and it doesn,t work. A t4 is a good example. A sak is ample.

I've been moving a T4 between a .22lr and a .223 for a while and I'd not thought of the powder issue either.....

Time for a flush with WD40 I think !

Alycidon I think we are local to each other - I have a T4, DM80 and SAK sitting here in 1/2 UNF if your friend wants to try anything before making his purchase.

Cheers

Tony

the sak does the job well .and you need a mod that you can get in to ,as it will get full of burt powder .its only a quick job to clean the sak ..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scotland Rifles

Well.

I have used a sak on my 16" CZ 17hmr and i am sad to say its pants, the internals of the sak are so rough that the cr@p finish inside helps in the demise of the moderator, i also find that it leaks from around the edges of the mod,

I took it to bits and found that the scorching of the internals meant that it would not be long before it was about as much use as a bean can. so i placed it in the only place fit for it, THE BIN.

I have also got a ase utra and its very good will out last the sak buy some margin, but what a pain in the R's when it comes to cleaning it, the baffles are just a total pain to get seated right,

So you are now asking well if thats what you think just what mod are you using, I use a DM80s 17 hmr calibre specific moderator from a rfd up north and they are the muts nuts, well made, easy to strip down to clean, not hard to put back together and you have nothing to loose when doing so, and are over barrel to boot.

And to just add a bit of a back ground to the above information, i spend hours ( and sheds full of ammo and time ) testing all sorts of mods from the Parker hale sak/self modded sak to the ase utra the dm80 and the wildcat, and my choice was as mentioned the DM80s, i sent in a nice thread a couple of years ago on another web site with DB readings etc, and as well as that i even went to the extent of showing photos of the penetration of both the 17gn and the 20 gr hmr ammo, just for interest really.

It had many replies in its day including some from a member of the ase utra manufacturers, and i will say it here to save me getting any more questions about my findings,

I was just doing it out of interest and i am not qualified moderator test engineer etc, but it was fun and some of my findings ( even if they where not fully scientific ) set a few people thinking about the subject of just how good the mods are and what your paying for etc.

I also used a t4 on some tests and as mentioned above fitting a t4 to any rim-fire is about as much use as a brake light on a submarine, the centre bore of the moderator needs to be the correct diameter to maximise the performance of the internal baffles systems on any moderator not just the ones we mentioned above.

so to that end i use the following.

1, t8 on my .243

2, a DM80s on my 17 hmr ( calibre specific) as per the centre bore diameter. and the baffle construction.

3, a DM80 on my 22lr ( calibre specific ) as per the centre bore diameter and the construction of the baffles

4, a ase utra as a spare as it was on my 2nd hmr. and still on ticket.

Please note:

the above findings are my findings and are no way related to the sales manufacture or reports printed in any magazine in relationship to any of the above moderators.

bob.

Guest Scotland Rifles

PS:

one thing i did forget to mention is this,

no matter how much you pay. how good the moderator is. who made it, how good it looks how long it lasts.

YOU WILL NOT STOP THE CRACK FROM THE BULLET, IT CAN NOT BE DONE.

bob.

Archived