Barrel fluting

First time i’ve heard that cold forging doesn’t induce stress and cut rifling does. It would be interesting to know if they apply any more inspection to fluted versions. 

We also know Remington barrels are hit and miss in terms or accuracy, quality etc. I see a fair few where people have issues getting on target etc. It’s not always scope base issues. 

As previously stated, i never said they can’t be done. Just mearly i personally won’t and it’s generally not recommended. This is based off of real world experience from my own tests and other. And i’m pretty sure i’m not the only UK rifle builder to say he same. 

It’s all interesting stuff though 🙂

6 hours ago, lapua said:

Blaser seem to have a different opinion

and we know how well they shoot.

also the remmy vssf and sendero etc do ok with fluting

I think this helps understanding as the video is sales bull

Quote from Farinia Group website

"Advantages of Cold Forging
Manufacturers may prefer cold over hot forging process; since cold forged parts require very little or no finishing work. Since all bars are annealed before being forged, there is no need for a secondary heat treatment prior to machining. Another significant advantage is the material savings achieved through near net shapes. The initial weight of the workpiece equals the final weight of the cold forged component.  Cold forged parts offer a good level of attainable dimensional accuracy and excellent surface quality.

The economic advantages combined with high production rates and long die life are more than enough to convince many manufacturers that cold forging is the best option for them.

Disadvantages of Cold Forging
Depending on the manufacturer’s requirements, some of the cold forging characteristics may turn out disadvantages; e.g. only simple shapes in high volumes can be shaped. The achievable deformation levels and shaping grade are much more limited compared to stamping. Therefore, if the customer is searching for a specific customized component, cold forging won’t be the best alternative.

A second more significant disadvantage is that cold forged metals are less ductile, which makes them inappropriate for certain configurations. Also, because of the grain structure that gives the material its strength, residual stress may occur.

It is important to mention that cold forging extrusion for example requires also a heat treatment to eliminate possible cracks, creeks hardening or rafters.

As a consequence of the above statements, cold forging cannot be used on every steel grade, particularly on those with low ductility or sensitivity to strain hardening. For instance, low alloy steel with carbon content higher than 0,05% is not appropriate for cold forging."

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Tikka TAC 1 in 6.5 Creedmoor, and would like the bolt fluted. Just a basic flute design. And the fluting left in steel to contrast with the black bolt.

Would I just need to get the bolt delivered to the RFD?

And what would I be looking at as regards cost??

Anyone?

PM me if needs be??

Cheers

Chaz.

4 hours ago, chaz said:

I have a Tikka TAC 1 in 6.5 Creedmoor, and would like the bolt fluted. Just a basic flute design. And the fluting left in steel to contrast with the black bolt.

Would I just need to get the bolt delivered to the RFD?

And what would I be looking at as regards cost??

Anyone?

PM me if needs be??

Cheers

Chaz.

Hi Chaz, i’m unable to PM you for sime reason. Email me or text me on info@jrfirearms.co.uk or 07801432618