.22wmr is the ammo as unreliable as 17hmr ?

Hello , I have not shot a 17 HMR in a few years . But the stories of rubbish ammo still prevail... 

I recently enquired in a gun shop and they said ammo is the big downfall with HMR , disappointed , they said had I considered the .22 magnum, and I hold my hands up I genuinely hadn’t even looked at it before. They told me that a goon number of there customers had switched to it and swear by it .. 

so I thought I would ask you guys for real world experience.  
how do you find the .22 magnum? 
ammo issues? Better or worse than HMR ?  

Hi there 

had an anschutz 17 hmr for five years and shot well over 3000 rounds with no problems . Have used cci, hornady , federal , Remington and Winchester . Federal and Remington both had split necks but all went bang ok . Sticking with hornady vmax and cci gamepoint , hornady xtp were good too . 
cheers Rich 

I owned a switch barrel Sako Quad in .22LR and .22WMR a couple of years ago and never had any unreliability issue with .22WMR ammunition. My biggest issue was the cost, if it's for a purpose i.e. hunting/pest control then it may be OK, but for general plinking / target shooting I found it too expensive for what is was (at the time I am sure it was around £12:50 for 50 rounds).  

Hi Matt

post should of said HAVE an anschutz as still got it . Night vision going back on it soon now the nights are drawing in . Great on rabbit s and close range fox . Ballistic tip ammo seems the best as the game points pass straight through . Winchester ammo has a much thicker case neck so won’t split as easy . Stick with the better quality ammo and you won’t have any problem. Enjoy your choice both will work well , hmr will be a flatter curve due to a lighter bullet  . 

• 3 weeks later...