Anyone got a .300 win mag for Deer or Fox?

njc110381

I'm having a small niggle with my firearms dept. Do any of you have a .300 win mag for Deer? If so was that the reason for needing the gun or did you get it for targets and then add Deer later?

I have a friend and know of others who have 300Win Mag for deer on their tickets.

There is no reason why this isnt acceptable to your registry it is within the guidelines for UK deer species if you look at the Home office guidelines.

See page 77 for a table of calibres suitable for deer / fox.

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio...pdf?view=Binary

The 300 Winnie should be taken as a 30 cal centrefire, regardless of its magnum status, it is just a 30 cal and should not be treated apart.

If it meets the requirements of the Deer Act and doesnt exceed the guidelines in terms of ME, I cannot see why they are being reticant to grant.

Unless your land is a particually small block and you have only CWD or Muntjac on the land.

The 300 would be ideal for open area stalking where range is extended and the bullet may be affected by wind......

As Ronin said basically. I've already had a .300RUM and shortly a .30-338 lapua. They seem to have no issues as long as it is a .30 cal. Personally I've never seen the need for something as small as the .300 win mag :D;) Just don't introduce the idea of anything in .338 since you'll be in a world of pain, as I discovered :( But anything in .375 like a CheyTac is fine :P I gave up working out the logic along time ago!

I've spoken to my head of dept today and he hasn't written it off yet. I think our chief just puts pressure on the team to reduce rifle use. I've been told he doesn't like them! It sounds like he's working on letting me have it, and can't see any reason why I shouldn't! I don't want a military calibre as I may want to use it abroad in countries that don't allow them, so the win mag makes sense to me as it's still fairly popular. I think it is a little big for Deer, but I just want to use it here now and again to justify having expanding ammo. What use is zeroing on ranges if I can't zero with the ammo I'll be using in the field? What a pain in the butt! It's not like I'm asking for anything silly!

Just off on a slight tangent, the 7mm RM is (IMHO) the better option than the 300.

JC - Thanks for that. If all goes to plan I'll let you know. I'd happily buy some kit off of you if you've got anything going spare.

Ronin - I'm not sure about the 7mm RM. Cutting down to .30 is going a bit against the grain for me as I really want the gun mainly as a bear and Boar gun. If I could get my .375 cleared more easily I would be keeping that. I want as big a bullet as I can get, but the .375 is just too much grief for the use it will get.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off on a tangent again, we had an absolute mint 7mm rem mag, tikka 595 in as a part ex.Think its had a couple of hundred rounds down it. the guy bought it to shoot "f" class with ? no one told him you couldn,t do it with a belted magnum. Lovely gun, odd calibre.

110grn V-Max, sounds like a good little pill. Will they hold together at .300 win mag speeds?

I was thinking I'd mail order some A-Max to save the bother of having a sect 5 bullet shipped to my RFD. They worked wonders in my .223 and were easy to get hold of.

I should add that I'm very grateful for your replies on this topic. I think that the information provided by some of you on here may have gone a long way towards getting me the conditions that I wanted. I really appreciate your help.

Well I got the Win Mag. Conditioned for Deer, Fox and Vermin without land restrictions. When I find a rifle I'm going to take it out Rabbitting just because I can. ;)

I used to take the 300 winnie out on prairie dogs, sometimes with SoDak wind it helps for those 4-800 yd shots. 300 can be devastating on roe, seen exit holes look like a sledge has been driven thru, but it's matter of finding the right bullet for the range..Good calibre, I have 3 rifles in this chambering.

JR

Archived