Uses for .17 Mach 2 ammunition

Paul Cat

Last year I bought what was supposed to be 1000 x .17hmr. Having worked my way through some of it and not rotated my stock when topping up (I know, I know) I've only now discovered that the last 500 rounds are in fact .17 Mach 2.

I've tried selling it, no takers.

I've tried swapping it, no takers.

I can't return it as it's been too long (and I got it in the US so there's not much chance of a return trip in the foreseeable future).

I don't want to buy another rifle just to use it up and anyway the cabinets are full.

I briefly thought about the 'light a bonfire and run away' method but I'm not really that daft.

Apart from giving it to a RFD what can I do with it?

1 hour ago, Paul Cat said:

Last year I bought what was supposed to be 1000 x .17hmr. Having worked my way through some of it and not rotated my stock when topping up (I know, I know) I've only now discovered that the last 500 rounds are in fact .17 Mach 2.

I've tried selling it, no takers.

I've tried swapping it, no takers.

I can't return it as it's been too long (and I got it in the US so there's not much chance of a return trip in the foreseeable future).

I don't want to buy another rifle just to use it up and anyway the cabinets are full.

I briefly thought about the 'light a bonfire and run away' method but I'm not really that daft.

Apart from giving it to a RFD what can I do with it?

Grab some tools pull the bullets, spread the powder on the grass (think fertilizer) kill the primer compound with oil and bin

the brass. However if this isnt legal in the UK I haven't a clue. Good luck. Odd thought came in, they headspace on the rim so

why not shoot them and really clean the HMR chamber after I see no real reason why this would harm anything. Accuracy wont be great but hey at least you have fun shooting!

8 hours ago, KABOOM said:

why not shoot them and really clean the HMR chamber after I see no real reason why this would harm anything. Accuracy wont be great but hey at least you have fun shooting!

Yeah, I did think that but I don't really want to put 500 rounds down the barrel just as waste disposal.