Re-barrel and Poss calibre change

Hi guys

I have a remmington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag and i will be looking in the next month to have this rebarreled. Question is I would like to keep with a 7mm but are there any varients that give a more efficient used of powder while keeping accuaracy and velocity?

The rifle will be used for deer and long range target work.

Any ideas or suggestions.

Cheers

You've got 4 basic options so far as I can see it. All are plenty on deer. All will be as accurate as the gun is built. So really it comes down to what you want.

If you want efficiency (velocity gain per powder weight) then you need to look at smaller cartridges. Once you start going bigger and bigger, you add a lot more powder for not as much gain in velocity. If you want to stay 7MM, then the 7mm-08 would be a great gun. I don't know what distance you mean with long range target work, but the high BC 7mm bullets should be enough to get you to 1000 and be supersonic.

You've got the 280 rem. Great cartridge, very much a hunting lineage. I don't know how it has done in target competitions, but it will add some more speed over the 7mm-08.

There is the 284 win. Rather than neck it down to 6.5, leave it whole and shoot the high BC 7mm bullets. I don't know what speed it will do compared to the others.

7mm WSM. Record setting cartridge for accuracy in the UK. No doubt about target abilities. Should get you as close to the 7mm mag as you'll get. Problem might be feeding in the Rem 700 mag platform. Of them all, this one won't need a new bolthead, but you might be limited to single shot. Not a problem for target, but hunting could give issues.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi guys

I have a remmington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag and i will be looking in the next month to have this rebarreled. Question is I would like to keep with a 7mm but are there any varients that give a more efficient used of powder while keeping accuaracy and velocity?

Cheers

280 or 280AI.

Think i will stay with the 7mm Rem Mag as i have the dies and 100 new cases...

So whom here can do the rebarrel job for me? and price?

stainless barrel

screw cut

sand/vapour blasted

Cheap as poss lol

Think i will stay with the 7mm Rem Mag as i have the dies and 100 new cases...

So whom here can do the rebarrel job for me? and price?

stainless barrel

screw cut

sand/vapour blasted

Cheap as poss lol

Does the one you have not shoot?~Andrew

mil-dot,

If you're staying with the same cartridge, you may be able to get by with just setting the barrel back and rechambering(?).

Thats a fair point. I do want a shorter barrel 24" opposed to 26" However i do want to increase accuracy potential! i have done a good 500-700 rounds through this so it would only prospone a rebarrel for a short while! But certainly something to contenplate.

Andrew,

It does shoot ok 3/4" at 100. As mentioned above i want to increase the accuracy potential and have a shorter barrel. plus its done a fair few shots for a hot magnum. However i dont know what the expect life span is of a 7mag...

I am currently looking at the 7mm WSM and the 7mm SAUM. The latter being a smaller case/charge but is still capable of throwing the 180 bergers just shy of 3000 FPS. Both have really good accuracy reports with the WSM being slightly ahead. Both capable of 1000 yard comp as well and will drop any Uk species and good ranges.

Something to think about

Ads ;)

Mil-Dot,

I'd be hard pressed to believe that a barrel is shot out after 750 rds(?). Ultimately, if you just want a new barrel to start from a clean slate, I understand. But if it were me, I'd set the barrel back, rechamber and recrown after the throat was shot out. 3/4" is not bad for a hunting rifle.

That being siad, I know you guys are limited by how many firearms you can have, and understand the desire to tweak what you do have, to the utmost degree possible. Re-chambering and re-crowning though will generally will give you the accuracy you want, and allow you to shorten the barrel as well.

Your money, and your decision, I'm just trying to voice a concern of desire over practicality (no flame intended).

Marinepm1

no flame taken and very good points!

I had lost alot of confidence in the rifle as when i first got it it took hundreds of rounds and a recrown to shoot well. So i think the rebarrel will bring back the confidence, although if re-chambered, shortened and a proper crown done that may well be as good! certainly something to bring to the table!

mil-dot,

I understand, confidence is an important contributor to "overall accuracy" that seldom folk acknowledge. I can also sympathize with your past troubles. I only have one Remington, and it shoots, but I have seen many that were sold with significant defects and/or outright shoddy work. Something else to consider; if you do set the barrel back, or rebarrel, you might consider having a Sako extractor installed and having the bolt handle welded on. Since the barrel would have to be rechambered any ways, that would be the time to consider these upgrades...

Hope things work out well for you. Best regards...

I would agree that the accuracy loss is unlikely to be due to the number of rounds. I have just had my .300 wni mag re-barelled into 7mm rem mag and that had done many more miles before it started to go downhill. Are you using any form of recoil reducer, moderator or brake? I don't care what all the hard me say, the 7mm mags /.300 mags and above are pretty hard to get good groups with consistantly without some sort of recoil protection. I second the comment that a true 3/4 moa group out of a magnum stalking rifle is perfectly ok, yes i've shot plenty of better groups but i've shot plenty worse too! those are the ones that end up as tightly screwed bits of paper and no-one talks about!! JC

I use a mod so its pretty tame. I have shot a 300 wim mag without anything and could shoot tiny groups.

Its never really been a shooter to be honest. As i now want to use it for long range target use aswell as hunting i want to get the best acuracy from it.

It's not worth setting a barrel back, unless your a gunsmith and its your own gun. It will cost you £40 for proof and then another £160 upwards to get it rechambered. I wouldn't pay that much on a factory tube. Another £230 and you can have a stainless pacnor super match fitted......

I think 3/4 MOA is fine accuracy from a stock 7mm Rem Mag. Unfortunately, i also believe that rebarreling is no guarantee of increased accuracy. And you aren't just talking "another 230 Pounds" you're talking 100+% increase in the cost. PMI and I are just practical folk and playing Devils Advocate. I believe that his assertion that a Sako Extractor and a welded bolt handle may be money well spent -on any 700 Remington- is correct. (If you are intent on spending your hard earned cash.) JMHO. ~Andrew

Hi guys

Cheers

Unless you opt for bushing the bolt face (or replacing the bolt entirely) you are "stuck" with magnum based (.532" rim diameter) cartridges - not that this is any problem.

You could opt for any of the following in 7mm (no order of preferance)

7mm RM

7mm RUM

7mm SAUM

7mm STW

7mm WSM

7mm \ 300 WSM

7mm \ 270WSM

I doubt your barrel is shot at the round count you have posted, these are good for a couple of thousand, unless shot repeatedly whilst hot!

I have a pal with a 7mm RM Sendero, it will reach 1000 mtrs easily and give 1/2 MOA groups out to this distance on a good day using 168 SMK.

He uses Barnes for his deer round.

If yours is giving the 3/4 inch or less accuracy, why change?

Archived