reloading 6.5x55

Adam curtiss

Hello everyone, 

Over the last few months I have finally bought a Tikka T3x lite in 6.5x55 Swedish which I will be using for deer, vermin and also to get back into target shooting. I am looking into starting reloading for it however thought I'd ask what other peoples experiences and information are on reloading this calibre, for example bullet head choice etc. 

The rifle has a 20" barrel in 1:8 twist.

Thanks, Adam.

2 hours ago, Adam curtiss said:

Hello everyone, 

Over the last few months I have finally bought a Tikka T3x lite in 6.5x55 Swedish which I will be using for deer, vermin and also to get back into target shooting. I am looking into starting reloading for it however thought I'd ask what other peoples experiences and information are on reloading this calibre, for example bullet head choice etc. 

The rifle has a 20" barrel in 1:8 twist.

Thanks, Adam.

Welcome to the Swede club. For assorted vermin you just cant beat the 95 grain VMAX, I shoot a model 38 short rifle and tbh its one of my most favored rifles. For deer any 140 hunting bullet will work. Target work I would go 143 Match kings or some thing similar. Powders I use are very probably not r e a c h compliant so I cant recommend. Enjoy your swede and best wishes for good shooting.

I would recommend 140 grain bullets. The old amax 140 worked well for target shooting and small game up to roedeer/goats. The newer 140ELDM is also good but expands noticeablybless. For red deer I would use a specific hunting bullet like 143eldx, 140 nosler accubond or similar. Scenars 139 are also great for target shooting.

Any powder in the range of vectan t7000, 4350, vihta 160/165 will work.

RS60 works really well in the 6.5x55, good terminal effect with Barnes 100 or 120g TTSX, 120g Nosler BT and the 120g Sierra pro hunters