Change to ITAR regs regarding American exports.

dorg

Does anyone now have a good grasp of what can now be shipped from the USA without an export license. I am thinking we may not now need an export license to import brass, actions, barrel blanks, stocks and so on. but would be interested in knowing for definite.

Best work with an experienced US Exporter. They’ll sort out an Export license you need and will arrange all the shipping. I’ve always found Mike and Addison at Reloading International to be excellent. http://www.reloadinginternational.com/

They also work with various shipping fright firms here in the UK as well as a lot of the gunsmiths here, so getting you stuff should be seamless, even if items are ITAR restricted and must be formally declared and exported - it does just take some time for the paperwork to be approved.

Based on my previous experience of exporting all the bits for a custom rifle (chassis, action + spare bolt, 4 barrel blanks, trigger and other bits) which was built in the UK, and now more recently a complete custom rifle built State side plus several chambered spare barrels and additional barrel blanks, it’s fairly straightforward but worth getting help doing it. Try to do the paperwork yourself but get it wrong could be disastrous.

In general, barrel blanks require an export license but aren’t restricted in the uk, so can be sent direct to you. 
hinting type stocks are fine and aren’t restricted but some chassis systems are (eg if used by US Mil). But again, best check the specific make/model you want.

Actions definitely are restricted and you’ll need them on an export license, plus you need the authority to acquire on your FAC. This can be a bit of a minefield as a lot of our police authorities seem to have difficulties with listing individual components on an FAC. Believe me...they need a lot of educating at times which can be frustrating.

Personally, I would also work with a smith UK side and also with Reloading Int’l US side. If I were you, I would compile a list of things you want (best include URLs or as much detail as possible) to help Reloading Int’l guide you with what is and isn’t restricted. You control the items you want, Reloading Int’l will sort your export and purchase everything you want on your behalf. You pay their invoice, they ship to your Smith here and they sign over to you, or build the gun for you. It’ll be easier for the smith to put said items on their open ticket than for you to have everything individually noted on your FAC. This is especially true if the smith will build you a gun, or part build one. Again, just make sure you have authority to acquire the end product (eg a 6.5x47 rifle with 2x spare 6.5x47 chambered barrels).

I would also discuss what you want to do with your local FEO. Explain clearly what you want to achieve and that you’ll be working with a US Exporter and UK Smith. It’ll be easier This way and ensures nothing is a surprise. 

Did not know ITAR had been changed that much?

As per Catch-22’’s post (and actually the folks he’s linked to, used them myself a few times and very good). sort what you want to do, get it all in the exported permit, same cost no matter how much you put on it, also you Do not need to buy it all in one go i.e. the permit has quantities on it you can work up to.

This end is not and issue, your FAC is effectively your import permit, IMHO work with a proven experienced importer  - I’d recommend March Scopes UK (part of PBS Int who are purely a freight handling company i.e. that’s their day job 😁 )

You should not have any real issues.

T

I don't think anything has really changed yet in reality. It was all mooted but seems to have ended up on the backburner. The bigger issue is freight costs- they really slug it to you now and the option of surface is long gone. I've always kept funds over there and it was great in the old days but my buddy in OK isn't called up much these days to do shipping.

Update- just ran across this on our local forum:

Export Changes at Brownells

As some of you are aware, the US changed the classification of most firearms and firearm parts under ITAR regulations. Most firearm parts, including scopes now fall under the Department of Commerce, not the Department of State.

Brownells have implemented these, here is an update from them:
"Per your inquiry, there has been realignment of SKUs, as the majority of items are moved from State to Commerce, meaning categories and commodity codes are changed.

Very few items are staying under the Dept. of State. With this change Dept. of Commerce utilizes Low Value Shipments, LVS. So…you can order without securing an export license and we document the values of the shipments under their categories. This can be used*and no documents are required by you as long as the value is less than $500.

The limit is $6000 a year, once hitting that amount, then an export license would be required for the shipment of Dept. of Commerce items. The Dept. of Commerce does not assess a fee for export license applications.

Our Dept. of State has maintain a very few items and those items could also move.
We do not have a listing as each country can have different restrictions, however any item that has a part associated with fully automatic firearms (at this time) stayed under the Dept. of State*and they require an export license for any of these items, regardless of value or quantity.
Applying for their export license, fee $250."

So there is no requirement for the $250USD export fee any more for most items from Brownells.