Co-Axial Located Red Dot

Popsbengo

I'm thinking of installing a Vortex Venom red dot as a co-axial sight for my .338LM.  I have a Spuhr mount that can carry an adapter plate so the red dot can be nicely packaged with my S&B PM11.  It will be canted to the right so any elevation adjustment will be a combination of elevation and windage to get a vertical vector.

The purpose of this is to acquire targets more easily when the scope is zoomed to max.   I'm thinking that this red dot needs to be 'zeroed' at say 1500yds as I want to glance through it and be reasonably close to what my scope elevation will be set at.  I'm not sighting to shoot, just to be in the ball-park for my scope.  At a mile I'd expect to have 18mil on my scope (zeroed at 200).  I'm not bothered about anything closer than 1000yds.

Have I got my thinking straight regarding setting it up or am I missing something?

PbG,

It works either canted or on top, I opted for ‘on top’ as I found moving my head up/down more natural than left right (or at an angle if you cannot get the red dot in either of the ret planes.)

thus:

98F20C9B-E624-4AA0-8141-5BF100DFE25F.thumb.jpeg.992e6cb4b5941349a53b3e6860bd949a.jpeg

Set mine up on the money at 800 yards and found it good closer and out to 1300+. not sure on your scopes FOV by my March on 40x if the red dot was on the target then when I then looked thru’ the scope the target was in view.

T

I zeroed my red dot at about 50 yards on a lighting conductor on top of a lamp post from inside the house with the rifle on a tripod and the scope on maximum magnification, it seems to work at all distances.

Remember all you want to do is align the scope tube with red dot and not the red dot with the reticle, if the red dot is aligned with the scope tube the scope tube will always point at the same place as the red dot so the target should be in view.