New Tripod choice

Minion

Paddy,

have used it a couple of times with no issues. 
like a few things these days, suppose there is risk everywhere?

Think the N52 might be overkill, the N44 is rated 25 kg and I’d be using a rifle less than half that on a tripod rated to 20 kg so do not think the increase height is worth it.

I’d also look to bin the quick connect and mount the Monkey clamp direct to the ball,

T

the 52 is a lot smoother because it has the higher rating so im told that's why i went with a xb52 just something to think about i know the xb44 is a good head a friend has one but said he would have got the xb52 if it was out at the time . 

6 hours ago, paddy said:

ya thats the site i was looking at seen some reviews where people had bother getting there stuff from it and it does not do paypal so not much come back .

Paid via paypal earlier bud, may be some stores and others dont /shrug

The RRS TFCT-34 is pretty expensive, and a bit much to swallow, price wise.  That being said, I went down the "trying to keep it reasonable" route, and wish I had just got the 34L package to begin with.  It would have saved time, money and frustration.

The lower cost ones work, no doubt about it.  But the parts wear out quickly and have no where near the stability, rigidity and smooth tracking as a 34 and an anvil 30 ball head.  No where near.

Still, it's understood that is a lot of coin to drop on something that doesn't go "bang!". So, what many do is, go less pricey on the tripod, and spring for the anvil 30 ball head.  It's a decent compromise, and will get you in the field, or game, until you finally upgrade the tripod.

Standing, shooting rabbits off a tripod at 500+ yards tends to change your mind about the state of the possible for long shots in tall grass, and drives home the value of a high quality tripod and ballhead in the field.

JMTCW...