Bringing back bullets from U.S.

ezmobile

I know this question has been asked a few times over the years, but can anyone tell me the legality of bringing back bullets (heads, obviously) from the States?

I'm heading there in a few months on a road trip and just wondered if its permitted to bring back a box or two of bullets in the luggage hold. Is it a definite yes, or a definite NO NO!

Cheers all.

It is indeed a recurring question

Bullets, brass etc are a controlled item and require an export permit, import this end is not an issue.

None the less people do throw ‘the odd box ‘into their luggage (and will no doubt chip in with the ‘well I’ve always done this’ etc ad infinitum) but this is your choice as an adult, personally I would not recommend breaking the law, it is a serious fine if caught and if you need to travel to the States other than on vacation you could risk some difficulties on future visits.

If you wish to confirm this yourself pm and I’ll give you the contacts in the US  dept who manage this process.

Brgds

Terry 

As Terry says, not worth the trouble at the US border.  Here's the extract from the current  Federal "Munitions List"  (sorry about 'bold' but I can't turn it off!)

Category III—Ammunition/Ordnance 

*(a) Ammunition/ordnance for the articles in Categories I and II of this section. 

(b) Ammunition/ordnance handling equipment specifically designed or modified for the articles controlled in this category, such as, belting, linking, and de-linking equipment. 

(c) Equipment and tooling specifically designed or modified for the production of defense articles controlled by this category. 

(d) Components, parts, accessories, attachments and associated equipment specifically designed or modified for the articles in this category: 

*(1) Guidance and control components for the articles in paragraph (a) of this category; 

*(2) Safing, arming and fuzing components (including target detection and localization devices) for the articles in paragraph (a) of this category; and 

(3) All other components, parts, accessories, attachments and associated equipment for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (c) of this category. 

(e) Technical data (as defined in §120.10 of this subchapter) and defense services (as defined in §120.9 of this subchapter) directly related to the defense articles described in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this category. Technical data directly related to the manufacture or production of any defense articles described elsewhere in this category that are designated as Significant Military Equipment (SME) shall itself be designated SME. 

(f) The following explains and amplifies the terms used in this category and elsewhere in this subchapter: 

(1) The components, parts, accessories and attachments controlled in this category include, but are not limited to cartridge cases, powder bags (or other propellant charges), bullets, jackets, cores, shells (excluding shotgun shells), projectiles (including canister rounds and submunitions therefor), boosters, firing components therefor, primers, and other detonating devices for the defense articles controlled in this category.