Anyone shooting the 7mm WSSM

If you want to use 180's you need a 1-9" twist.

If you intend to mag feed on a short action you will have to use an AI mag with modifications or use a BDL system as the others are too short.

If you use a S/A Predator, you will need the feed ramp base notching by .080" to allow the 180's to feed reliably....

Just a few things to consider.

If you went for a Surgeon (WSM) the loading port and bolt throw has already been adapted / perfected for the S/A ...

Just my 2p

Hey marine PMI,

Whats with the Union Jack shirt you are wearing in your pic buddy, or are you really a closet Britisher ;);)

Ian

ROTFLMAO! It's actually a shirt from a Pub in Vegas that I enjoy visiting when I have to be in Vegas (I hate Vegas). As to being a closet Britisher...I did live in Norwich for awhile, to the point that the cold and rain didn't bother me, and I was always up to going to the "Hare" for a few pints of Old Speckled Hen. :lol: My RAF friends used to poke fun, saying "You've been anglosized now, you'll never be able to go back!". I do miss the country around the area though...

Damn if it isn't hard finding that beer here in the states! (Which is one of the reasons I always frequent that Pub in Vegas...that and a really good Lamb Vindaloo! ;) )

If you want to use 180's you need a 1-9" twist.

If you intend to mag feed on a short action you will have to use an AI mag with modifications or use a BDL system as the others are too short.

If you use a S/A Predator, you will need the feed ramp base notching by .080" to allow the 180's to feed reliably....

Just a few things to consider.

If you went for a Surgeon (WSM) the loading port and bolt throw has already been adapted / perfected for the S/A ...

Just my 2p

And will this short action allow me to put the 180 bergers right out to the lands ??

It will, the trade off is that there will be some powder volume lost as the bullets base is seated deeper in the case.

The max OAL (base of case to tip of bullet) in most short actions is around or less than 3.000" (or thereabouts)

There have been plenty of rifles made using a short throated WSM reamer that run using the 180 Berger combination across the pond, velocity isnt really affected that much to be an issue even at long range.

You have to bear in mind that the throat will (over time) move forwards so at some point you wont be able to seat to the lands and feed from the mag.

But if its a stalking or occasional range gun, this will happen as time passes slowly.

So i would maybe be better with a L\A and put up with a long bolt pull ?. I tend to run all my rifles at jam and seem to get good accuracy with them that way. Its just something i have always done.

I take it surgeon do a long action ? ;)

Ads

Archived