Scope suggestions?

I've just got a 22-250 running and it looks promising. Intended use is knocking over stuff from magpies up to feral goats (no foxes in New Zealand) at ranges no more than 400yds probably. It temporarily wears a basic 3-9 but it'd be nice to have a tall turret scope I could dial in elevation adjustments at least rather than aiming off/guessing. I'm trying to avoid dialling std turrets that have no settable zero point. I have Leica Geovids so don't need to "guestimate" range, eg via mildots.

This is not a serious toy (unlike the pending 6.5x47L) so I'm not keen to spend much loot on optics. I was thinking maybe something along the lines of a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 (tall turret/side focus) which can be had for about US$270. For the distances involved, 14X would be heaps but there's nothing I'm aware of that has tall turrets and AO as standard.

What suggestions have you guys got?

Chris-NZ

If you can get one out of the states, the Swift series have everything you are looking for. EABCO have the details on their site, but they don't ship internationally. I have a 6-18 (before the premier series) and they are decent scopes for the money. Mine has a little bit of glare in odd light conditions (30 degrees into the sun) and isn't as clear as my bushy elite 3200 was or my monarch 6-24 currently is, but I have mine on my 223 and it works out fine. And, the cloudiness/glare that I'm mentioning only happens on the higher power settings 16+ and can be partially cured with a sunshade (I don't have one but they come standard with hew ones). As you're looking for 14X, the swift could be a good option if you can have one shipped to you.

If you are open to a fixed power scope, then there are plenty of 10X scopes with tactical or target turrets. Unless you are shooting running goats at <50 yards, the 10X should do just fine. The bushnell elite 3200 10X would do pretty well for you there.

If you are willing to take a chance, then you could try the Tasco 2.5-10 varmint/target model. I just put one on my 22LR over the summer because it had mildots and adjustable turrets. I am going to play with both methods this summer and either make a click chart or sight in the mildots to be easy yardage ranges. I can't speak to the durability or recoil tollerance (I haven't tested them) or the long term abilities (only had it 6 months) but the glass was surprisingly clear all the way out to 10X and the box test for click repeatability was spot on. It it continues like this then I'd have no problem recommending it.

Thanks,

Rick

I have a couple of Leupold 4.5 - 14 x 50's on rifles and find them to be excellent. I don't think that you can get them as standard with target turrets but maybe the Leupold custom shop could fit one or two? Leupold used to be very accomadating with things like this but I haven't had anything done for several years. Personally, I would just get the elevation one done and hold off for wind. I am thinking of seeing if Leupold can change the reticle in one of my scopes but haven't got round to contacting them yet. JC

... the Swift series have everything you are looking for. ... The bushnell elite 3200 10X would do pretty well for you there.

Rick

Thanks for those sensible suggestions, JC too.

The Swifts have the basic specs but they're a pretty big scope.

The 10X 3200 looks fine but no AO, not that that's a biggie if we're only talking 10X.

As for 4.5-14 Leupys, I actually have one on my main .223 varmint gun and have a spare 6.5-20 EFR tall turret with TMR sitting on the shelf but the latter is overkill for the intended use. The VX-IIIs are somewhat over-priced for what I was thinking and they'd need mods.

Anyone else with 2c worth?

Chris-NZ

Hi Chris,

You could always take a look at Simmons....

Decent scope...affordable.

IMHO not as good as Leupold....on same lines of Bushnell

Item # 517716 has the taller turrets I think your looking for.

It uses a side knob for parallax rather than an AO.

308Panther

The specs are ideal for what I was thinking but what have you guys found on the tracking ability??

The mechanicals are always the worry with these cheap scopes. I couldn't care less that the image isn't "birding" quality but no point winding knobs if they're not going to return to zero, etc

One US EBay seller has one for $97.99- cheap alright

Chris

Hi Chris,

Not having had mine for too long I can't comment on longevity or tracking, once sighted I dont move mine around.

What I will say to all the detractors is whilst I would love to have a Zeiss, S&B or Swarovski my £46 Simmons can be replaced many times over in 20 times over before I need to feel hard done by!

Come on guys money is very very tight - let's be sensible

I will say I have a simmons on my .375 and it shoots straight and true even with the big bang :rolleyes:

Give em a try mate you can't go wrong

Chris,

sell your spare wheel of your car and some kids toys..

and get a conquest ...

some scopes don't loose value if bought well.

edi

Fully take your point Edi but I probably should take account of the fact that this is a secondary toy in a herd of rifles and do I want to have a serious bit of optics sitting on an occasionally used gun?

I can easily afford a good scope but it's a case of Should I do it just because I can?

I'll mull it over for a few more days.. :wacko:

Chris

After further investigations, I've decided on the Bushnell 3200 10x40

Check out the following review

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/l...ange-scopes.php

Other comments I've read have been quite favourable.

I'll post a review after I've given it a thorough workout

Chris-NZ

Fully take your point Edi but I probably should take account of the fact that this is a secondary toy in a herd of rifles and do I want to have a serious bit of optics sitting on an occasionally used gun?

I can easily afford a good scope but it's a case of Should I do it just because I can?

I'll mull it over for a few more days.. :lol:

Chris

I understand Chris,

I've only got two rifles at the moment and both need good optics for dusk.

Every time I bought a cheap scope it was useless, so a cheap scope for me is now

something like an aged 8x56 schmidt that one can pick up for around 300 euro but is

bullet proof and can be sold again for the same.

How's the weather down there? Your'e on the north island?

we are getting ready for apparently 50 knts of wind tomorrow afternoon, hope to back from stalking until

it gets breezy. One gale after the other lately.

edi

How's the weather down there? Your'e on the north island?

we are getting ready for apparently 50 knts of wind tomorrow afternoon, hope to back from stalking until

it gets breezy. One gale after the other lately.

edi

I'm in Hawkes Bay, half way up the East Coast of the Nth Island.

Sunny, 27.3C outside as I type and a very light breeze. Sorry about the pending gale.. :lol:

Just been out to our priv range trying the 22-250 some more. 41 of W760 is giving an av vel of 3692 with the 52 Sierra HPBT but uninspiring group, basically an inch. Some 55gr Blitz were again shooting right on the inch mark so no apparent advantage with the flatbase. Might be time to try other powders, maybe ADI2208 (Varget). (I'm out of H380 Chris..)

A mate came out with me to chrono some 6.5-284 loads. His Bergers and Accubonds were both shooting at or under the half inch mark with decent vel so he's happy enough.

Good luck hunting

Chris

I'm in Hawkes Bay, half way up the East Coast of the Nth Island.

Sunny, 27.3C outside as I type and a very light breeze. Sorry about the pending gale.. :(

Just been out to our priv range trying the 22-250 some more. 41 of W760 is giving an av vel of 3692 with the 52 Sierra HPBT but uninspiring group, basically an inch. Some 55gr Blitz were again shooting right on the inch mark so no apparent advantage with the flatbase. Might be time to try other powders, maybe ADI2208 (Varget). (I'm out of H380 Chris..)

A mate came out with me to chrono some 6.5-284 loads. His Bergers and Accubonds were both shooting at or under the half inch mark with decent vel so he's happy enough.

Good luck hunting

Chris

Chris you lucky buggers,

we just got electrics back, blowing a hooly here.

Had a cold morning in the high seat with no tail to be seen.

Went to a wind sheltered hill and managed a longish shot on

a nice young sika doe.

I think the varget can work well in the 22-250.

Ever tried 52gr nos hp custom match?

edi

I have used Varget for years in the 22-250. at the beginning it produced stunning accuracy with 55 gr vmax bullets, then the quality went down the pan when manufacture was moved to a new factory. It has never been quite the same again, Benchmark is the better alternative now.

I used 36.5 grs with fed 210 primer and first rem, now winchester cases. Now experimenting with Benchmark and BLC2 plus H380 to find the sweet spot.

Redfox

I have used Varget for years in the 22-250. .. then the quality went down the pan when manufacture was moved to a new factory. It has never been quite the same again, Benchmark is the better alternative now....experimenting with Benchmark and BLC2 plus H380 to find the sweet spot.

Redfox

Hmm, hadn't heard that. By poor quality, I assume you mean batch variations? Some NRA shooters here overlap batches to make sure there's no major variations. ADI2208 (Varget) is the powder used by at least 80% of them- stuff either the 155 Palma Sierra or Lapua ahead of 44.5 or 45grs and you're in business. Produces a solid 2900 and usually great accuracy. I'm an exception in using the slightly faster 2206 as well as moly which also goes well. Average vel of 2965 and less than 3/4" group at 200yds when I last checked but I'm not longer shooting NRA as we lost our great 1000yd range a few years back :blink:

Anyway, I have some BLC(2) so might try that as well. Have some test loads with Varget ready to go with 53gr Hornady HPs, 52HPBT Sierras, 55 Hornady SPs and 50gr Ballistic Tips. Here's hoping..

Chris-NZ

Hi there CHris I had a Bushnall 10x42 mill dot for some time on my 270, its a grear scope and very clear optics , I never had any problem dialing it and there not gonna break the bank either.

Where are you in NZ have family in Auckland who want me to get out there for a holiday, is there much hastle taking guns into the country and can you use mods overthere.

cheers Andy

Hi there CHris I had a Bushnall 10x42 mill dot for some time on my 270, its a grear scope and very clear optics , I never had any problem dialing it and there not gonna break the bank either.

Where are you in NZ have family in Auckland who want me to get out there for a holiday, is there much hastle taking guns into the country and can you use mods overthere.

cheers Andy

Good to hear about the scope Andy

Check out

http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/?showservices=1

concerning firearms info. Zero issue with mods, no laws concerning these

Lemme know if you need any other info. When are you heading over?

Chris

chris

I cant remember which way they changed either aussie to scotland or the other way round but there were warnings on various US sites about it not being to spec ( I had sudden loss of accuracy and a couple of stuck bolts on a load used for yrs it was certainly hot!, I know Stag1933 on here had problems too. I have bought it since then and use it in the 17 rem to good effect.

Good luck

(Varget).. I have bought it since then and use it in the 17 rem to good effect.

Ah, that brings back memories. My brother had one in the late 70s and it was interesting to watch stuff disintegrate through the scope, a totally different shooting experience to my .270. I do however remember him scubbing the snot out of the barrel at times..

He did have one amusing incident- was shooting over the roof of his car and didn't look closely ( I'm sure some of you will know where this is leading..) Fired a shot and it didn't arrive. Looking up, he spotted a groove along the roof near the passenger's pillar. The bullet had gone through the roof, bounced off the A pillar and into the dash. :lol: No-one else in the car at the time fortunately but his dash was buggered. A good lesson he never forgot.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

They may take a willing friend to get, but EABCO has a Hawke 3-9x40 with a ballistic reticle and covered turrets for $79 right now. They have a comparable 3.5-10x50 for $129. EABCO doesn't ship international, but maybe you could get a friend in the US to do it for you.

Thanks,

Rick

Chris,

They may take a willing friend to get, but EABCO has a Hawke 3-9x40 with a ballistic reticle and covered turrets for $79 right now. ..

Yeh, I'm on their email list Rick (from previous sins) and mentioned the deal to my US mate.

His comment was there had been a big thread on some ?airgun forums about quality issues with these in the UK with the importer having to replace quite a few. Apparently their more expensive big brothers are OK.

The reviews of the Cabelas one seem slightly mixed

The 10x40 3200 should be on my doorstep in a couple of days so I'll post a review once I've had a good play. As I said, it's only for a rough toy so I'm not running to big bucks for this project.

The stock for the 6.5x47 will be here in a couple of days and the Barnard S action is already sitting in the den. Barrel is next item- need to ring TrueFlite..

thanks guys

Chris

Archived