Question for gunsmiths

Re-Pete

Not sure if this is the right section but:

When a live round is jammed in the chamber, and the bolt won't close fully, the usual solution is to gently tap the bolt handle with a plastic mallet/ bit of wood etc to fully disengage the lugs, AFTER making sure your hands are positioned so that if it does let go, you won't lose a finger, and there's no-one behind the gun who could end up wearing the bolt............

Then tap the bolt rearwards until either the cartridge is released, (frequently to a round of applause) or the extractor breaks/flips out of the casehead groove and the bolt is released.

At this point with a jammed live round, (at Bisley anyway), the rifle is left aimed at the target, and the duty armourer is summoned with his collet case extractor.

The question is: In modern firearms, are the bolts specifically designed with this scenario in mind?

We've had this happen with a Savage mod 12, and the bolt was immediately re-usable. The case had a small nick where the extractor had pulled out of the groove.

On my 1932 Mauser, it wrecked the extractor claw...............(but Fultons had a used one for a tenner...........)

Pete

4 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

Not sure if this is the right section but:

When a live round is jammed in the chamber, and the bolt won't close fully, the usual solution is to gently tap the bolt handle with a plastic mallet/ bit of wood etc to fully disengage the lugs, AFTER making sure your hands are positioned so that if it does let go, you won't lose a finger, and there's no-one behind the gun who could end up wearing the bolt............

Then tap the bolt rearwards until either the cartridge is released, (frequently to a round of applause) or the extractor breaks/flips out of the casehead groove and the bolt is released.

At this point with a jammed live round, (at Bisley anyway), the rifle is left aimed at the target, and the duty armourer is summoned with his collet case extractor.

The question is: In modern firearms, are the bolts specifically designed with this scenario in mind?

We've had this happen with a Savage mod 12, and the bolt was immediately re-usable. The case had a small nick where the extractor had pulled out of the groove.

On my 1932 Mauser, it wrecked the extractor claw...............(but Fultons had a used one for a tenner...........)

Pete

What was the reason for the rounds to be jammed in the chamber Pete??

I evidently picked up a case sized for my Musgrave 6BR when refilling for the Savage 6BR 😲 (It was a long time ago.....)

No idea why the case stuck in the old Mauser after it had been fired.

Nowadays, I neck size only, and check that all cases will chamber snugly in their intended rifle before filling them.

Pete