OPTISAN EVX 10X44I or sightron SIH-TAC 4-12X40

Mark II

I am looking at getting one of the above or something in this area, it's to go on my .308.

I don't have a  lot of spare cash (up to £300) for something more upmarket at the moment so I would like your opinions. 

The vortex crossfire is also a possibility. 

Cheers 

Consider a used, higher-spec 10x42 (or thereabouts) such as an SWFA or Sightron? I have the Sightron SIII 10x42 on my .223 T3x and it's good to 600yd (and the rifle wouldn't stretch much further tbh). The SIIIs seem to come up used for £300-350 while the SWFAs seem to be in the £200 ballpark; although I was tempted by an (admittedly cosmetically worn) example recently for £120.

I have no personal experience of the Optisan 10x44 but have used a fair few scopes in this sort of price range and usually find they're let down by the linearity / repeatability of their adjustments, which is obviously far from ideal if you wish to dial for elevation and/or windage.

I had a look through a clubmate's S1 4-12 and wasn't blown away if I'm honest; (narrow FOV compared to the Hawke Panorama it was slated to replace and I didn't like the MOA-based ret) although I suspect it was probably built better than the Hawke so may have tracked better (something the Hawkes really aren't too hot at IME).

Unfortunately at this price point I think accurate / repeatable tracking is the elephant in the room and rarely gets discussed or tested because it's often bloody awful. Coming from a background in airguns it's shocking how much sub-par crap is palmed off onto unsuspecting / duped punters in this market (which is where your two suggested scopes are firmly aimed).

If you're happy with the compromises of a fixed mag you'll definitely get more for your money by forsaking the zoom models.