6.5X284

i am thinking of changing my calibre when i have shot out my current barrel.

at the moment itsa .243 ai, using the same bolt and action can i change the calibre to 6.5x284

thanks mark

short answer is yes, its the same bolt face size.

You wont regret changing, but be aware that barrel life is shorter than the 243.

You also need to be aware that if you intend to use 140g bullets in a short Action donor rifle, you either have to single feed or have the throat cut short so you have to seat the bullets deeper into the case sacrificing a bit of powder space.

My own 6.5x284 was built on a long action, if you want a short action 6.5mm without "issues", try 260Rem or 6.5x47 as viable alternatives.

Hope this hasnt caused confusion.

Based on the .260 Remington with standard Ackley modifications applied. As can be expected, this round often draws comparison with the successful 6.5x284 Norma and ballistic equivalency is sometimes claimed. However, the smaller case size of the .260 AI results in considerably less powder capacity than the Norma offering.

When .260 AI proponents claim to safely reach the performance of the larger round, they are actually, and perhaps inadvertantly, inferring that the 6.5x284 Norma design is significantly overbored (i.e., case volume is too large for the bore size). This is the condition described by the symptom of very little or no additional velocity yield from a proportionally large increase in consumed powder. If .260 AI fans grow to establish an internet presence, this all may prove to be grist for many future "energetic" online discussions as there are many Norma users that would likely debate the proposition. To be sure, the standard .47" case width of the .260 AI (as opposed to the .500" case of the Norma/Winchester case) adds an extra round in the magazine of most rifles.

An article titled "260 Ackley Case Forming" is available here:

http://www.6mmbr.com/260AIforming.html

An excerpt: "...Ackleyizing the 260 allows you to drive the 140-class bullets over 100 fps faster, to 2940+ fps. That velocity rivals what 6.5-284s deliver, at least when tuned for best accuracy..."

See also http://www.the-long-family.com/260AI.htm

i am thinking of changing my calibre when i have shot out my current barrel.

at the moment itsa .243 ai, using the same bolt and action can i change the calibre to 6.5x284

thanks mark

Give Northernchris a pm and ask him about a new 6.5 that suits a short actioned rifle.

Pete.

Archived