Reducing moderator weight

This material, a composite of Carbon Fibre and Aircraft grade Aluminium looks like an ideal material for a lighter weight moderator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glare_(material)

30% lighter than Ali and stronger but with better heat resistance, Airbus are using it as a skin material on the A380

http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRheft/FRH0301/FR0301a.htm

Is anybody aware of any moderator manufacturers looking at this material?. It would solve part of the weight/balance issue. I do wonder about flame cutting though on baffles.

A

I am helping a guy at this moment in time who has just developed a Titainium sound Moderator, it will reduse noise and recoil against any other on the market.

At the moment the Patent for the system is being sorted ,but will give you a full run down on the tests I have done when its all complete.

I will say this its very impressive, :o

Titanium is nothing new. The cost has always been prohibitive. There is a mental block in the uk with moderators, and i,ll tell you what it is.......MONEY. .£200 mods sell.

titanium mods have been made in the UK,and they are not that light,and the price was to high. i have had the pleasure of handling one and shooting one.but i will not be rushing out to get one.the type i used was nothing to shout about,

And as Dave says you will never sell large amounts of mods if you don't keep the price down to £200.

ATB

Colin :D

I can only tell you of what I have shot against others, but ,were as a Relflex will rot out and you spend other £180 buying another this will last a life time .

But its up to the individual ,I know my thoughts on the matter :D

I can only tell you of what I have shot against others, but ,were as a Relflex will rot out and you spend other £180 buying another this will last a life time .

But its up to the individual ,I know my thoughts on the matter :D

hi nem

if you send a reflex back to jackson's they give you one for 60% of the new price.i think that's about £120

it will be interesting to see / hear about this new mod,i was not trying to put yours down,just letting you know what we found.

cost will all ways come in to it if you are trying to shift large numbers of items.

ATB

hi nem

if you send a reflex back to jackson's they give you one for 60% of the new price.i think that's about £120

it will be interesting to see / hear about this new mod,i was not trying to put yours down,just letting you know what we found.

cost will all ways come in to it if you are trying to shift large numbers of items.

ATB

Without saying to much ,the MOD are very very interested in the product for use in certain enviroments, if they get involved there may be a chance it might not even get to the public, or if it does it would be in controlled numbers.

Without saying to much ,the MOD are very very interested in the product for use in certain enviroments, if they get involved there may be a chance it might not even get to the public, or if it does it would be in controlled numbers.

Is this new MOD a muzzle can or an over barrel design?

Cheers,

Nick.

As Dave says now’t special about a Titanium moderator, I have built one myself, :D and the Yanks have had them for sometime.

nemasis243 I am not sure what your mate is going to patent :D as Henry Maxim had the first patent on a moderator over 100 years ago. Since then just about every different type of baffle design must have been tried some were by somebody.

If he thinks building his own moddy out of Titanium with his own fancy baffle design will earn him a patent then I am afraid he might be disappointed, however if he has come up with a truly revolutionary design that nobody else in the world has then well done to him. In the US/Europe and Australasia there are a lot of companies building and developing moderators for the military and sporting use, spending together millions on research.

Best rgds

B-b

• 2 weeks later...

Tried looking at that qsm website and I can't access anything. All it does is direct me onto a login box requesting username and password?

Anybody else get this ? and how did you get access eventually or is it all top secret :wub:

Site was down for a couple of hours earlier today. Back up and running now.

Tried looking at that qsm website and I can't access anything. All it does is direct me onto a login box requesting username and password?

Anybody else get this ? and how did you get access eventually or is it all top secret :wub:

You will gain very little if anything at all from a Titanium moderator. The use of this material in this application is a bit of waste, when you compare it to AA 7075 the Titanium will be heavier. Not only that the cost will be huge because its not cheap and the waste involved in machining massive!

Are we trying to reinvent the wheel?

Archived