6.5x47 barrel

lambsey

Looking at re barreling my sako 75 in 6.5x47, the rifle will be used for the occasional 600yd bench rest comp, but mainly deer/boar shooting.

does anybody run a short barrel on there 6.5x47????

22-25" max???

any help available?? pros and cons etc?????

happy new year

For mainly deer use and occasional target dont dismiss the .260 better suited to the heavier hunting bullets than the 6.5x47 Lap IMHO.

When I was weighing up which 6.5 I wanted the last and toughest decision was between .260 and 6.5x47. The .260 is known for going a little better with heavier bullets but brass availability kiboshed it for me and I've got a 6.5x47 on the way. I've never reloaded before so necking was just another hassle that I didn't want.

Guest northernchris

Necking up a case isnt a big deal,no harder than seating a bullet.

You can find .243 or .308 brass in most shops that stock even the most basic reloading gear which can be turned into .260 without any hard work.

Or even this :)

IMG_0325.jpg

.260 Ack on left for comparison,6.5 Nemisis on the right runs 142gr SMK @ 2900+ with ease without ANY real form of load dev! If you want to check it out Bradders of AR building fame is running my proto i chamberd for him as we speak.

Necking up a case isnt a big deal,no harder than seating a bullet.

You can find .243 or .308 brass in most shops that stock even the most basic reloading gear which can be turned into .260 without any hard work.

I believe you!

Before I started asking loads of questions about it and got someone to reload a few whilst I watched I thought reloading was a super-complex and nigh-impossible black art. Turns out not to be so complicated and I reckon I could probably handle necking.

Even though I probably could have gone for .260, I'm not that bothered. I still need to learn how to reload so relatively ready to go brass won't hinder. I can easily rebarrel to .260 later on if I feel the need but, for now, the two will be too similar for me to notice the difference.

Or even this :)

IMG_0325.jpg

.260 Ack on left for comparison,6.5 Nemisis on the right runs 142gr SMK @ 2900+ with ease without ANY real form of load dev! If you want to check it out Bradders of AR building fame is running my proto i chamberd for him as we speak.

Aha! Gavin (of 6XC Tubb gun shooting fame) mentioned that not long ago but slightly candidly.

What's the parent and process?

I'm running a 6.5x47 with a 25 inch Bartlien barrel throated for 123 grain Scenars. The rifle has been built as a stalking rifle, but I will also use it for shooting McQueens and out to 600 yards.

At the moment I'm struggling to get it to shoot the Scenars, if you call half to three quarter inch 5 shot groups struggling (100 yards), I do! But it shoots really well with any of the US bullets notably the Sierra 120 Matchkings. I'm in the process of trying Sierra 123 grain Matchkings, and have already established that it likes Hornady 120 Amax's. I can just about reach 2900 FPS but get slight pressure signs if I go higher (extractor marks)

Powder of choice at the moment is RL 15, I have tried Varget with ok results and will probably try looking at some different powders, like H3450 and Viht 540.

I'm informed that the factory Lapua ammo uses N140?

This maybe of interest if deciding between the 260 or 6.5x47

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootou...-6.5-creedmoor/

I'm running a 6.5x47 with a 25 inch Bartlien barrel throated for 123 grain Scenars. The rifle has been built as a stalking rifle, but I will also use it for shooting McQueens and out to 600 yards.

At the moment I'm struggling to get it to shoot the Scenars, if you call half to three quarter inch 5 shot groups struggling (100 yards), I do! But it shoots really well with any of the US bullets notably the Sierra 120 Matchkings. I'm in the process of trying Sierra 123 grain Matchkings, and have already established that it likes Hornady 120 Amax's. I can just about reach 2900 FPS but get slight pressure signs if I go higher (extractor marks)

Powder of choice at the moment is RL 15, I have tried Varget with ok results and will probably try looking at some different powders, like H3450 and Viht 540.

I'm informed that the factory Lapua ammo uses N140?

This maybe of interest if deciding between the 260 or 6.5x47

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootou...-6.5-creedmoor/

elwood,thats great, the links very informative as well.

how do you rate your 47? as a stalking rifle?

elwood,thats great, the links very informative as well.

how do you rate your 47? as a stalking rifle?

It works, simple as that really, but then again so would a 260, 308, 270 etc, I wanted the best of both worlds a super accurate calibre for range work that doubles up as a stalking rifle.

Guest dasherman

When trying out loads for my 6.5x47 F class rifle using 123 Scenars and reloader 15 I hit presure signs with only a 0.3g increase from a load that showed none. Changing to N140 was cleaner and a lot more predictable. Try 38g N140 behind a bare 123g Scenar. Gives just over 2900fps in a 29" barrel thats soft to shoot and consistant. Seems to work [30 out of 30 v bulls at my clubs last shoot]

AHPP,

I,ll give you a crash course on the case prep etc, when you come for your rifle, its almost finished.

Lambsey,

As per our chat, let Rog know what length you decide on, and i,ll order it this week.

Did you see Ross shooting his at the weekend ? He took small group with it, which was 2.7" at 600 yards. Not bad going in that wind was it?

Archived