AN EYE OPENER

nemasis243

Had a call late yesterday while in work from a guy who has been on to me for ages to go lamping with him and to see the way i do things when calling.

So after a 3/4hr drive I turned up at his house way out in the sticks , He made me welcome and had a cuppa and he explained that he was having trouble when him and his friend were lamping ,that he couldnt get foxes in range to shoot ,he tried calling with various calls,which he showed me and demonstated how they should be used :blush: .

Then things changed a little, from me going to show him what I did ,to me going and doing the things he thought the way they should be done,and he suggested that I go out with him using all his kit , lamp ,calls etc. :D , I declined on the calls as I only use my own :blush:

He got his rifle and bits and pieces and we had a little safety chat ,I have been in situations before and it is a very un-nerving feeling when someone sweeps you with a loaded rifle believe me :excl: .

So off you go to his piece of land where he and his mate had been a couple of weeks before, we got set up and I asked him what he wanted to do ,

We will go that way,I know theres a fox over there I always see him and have missed him a couple of times,

( I should have relised there and then that this was going to be an eye opener :ph34r: )

He wanted to approach the fox with the stiff breeze following us ,the charlie would have known we were about soon before we had seen him.

I suggested we go another route and was put firmly in my place, "Where Going This Way".

so off we set through a gate way and I had a quick scan and a pair of eyes disappared through a gate facing us ajoining another field,

"Come On " he shouted, (this was like a carry on film) , We got to the gate and the fox was at the other end of the field goimg through another gate .

"try calling him" was the next suggestion :D

When I said it would be a waste of time trying to call that fox he said to me you wont know if you dont try, so to keep the piece I started calling for about 10mins,

I called 2 foxes in behind us at the same time , when I tapped him on the shoulder to signal there was a charlie about , when he saw him he said "FOX" in a loud voice.

anyway these 2 legged it and it was time for a little chat.

I explained the best I could that it wasnt the best idea to try and call a fox that is down wind and also that I is a good idea to be fairly quiet when your out and about.

His next words were ,well you show me how you would do it , I asked him to stay just behind me on my right side , this wouldnt intefere with the lamping and I always would know where he was,and when I had a fox in the light he could approach and set up accordingly.

We walked right to the far boundry of the farm so we were walking into the wind all the way , I got to an good viewing area which was elevated about 20ft above all the other fields I could see. I had a scan and saw nothing so started calling, next thing I had three foxes around me all within 200yrds .

I decided to take the one behind us first, he got down on the bipod and fired, missed ,reload I said the fox had gone about 60yards to our right and had stopped, next thing I see him unzipping his coat and pulling out a box and taking a round out , putting the box back in his coat ,doing up the zip , taking the magazine out of the rifle and putting the round in ,then putting the mag back in the gun ,then closing the bolt and expecting the fox to still be there.

The fox by now had gone ,so I swung round and there were still 2 out infront , the closest being 160yrds away just sitting there , nail that one I said ,

He moved position and bang , missed again , and this time I saw the strike in the bank behind , about 4" high , .

I flicked the lamp off and told him he had missed , then he told me he had shot the fox right between the eyes and he seen the bullet impact. :D

I was puzzeled as this wasnt as I had seen it, but I thought I could be wrong, I told him to reload and again , we went through the same thing again, .

I said give the bullets to me and I will hand them to you as you need them , he reloaded and the other fox was moving away , I started calling and the fox come right in to about 80yrds , I stopped the fox and waited , and waited , shoot I was saying under my breath, the fox started sniffing and was on the move , I stopped him again , and waited .

I looked down to him laying beside me , He was there Texting on his "F********G moblie phone,

At this point the lamp went off and I could feel it brewing,

"Come on then were finished for the night", I said

"WHY " was the reply , I decided to be dipolmatic and said it was clear he had other things to do ,hence the texing and we should leave the lamping for another time .

Anyway before we went he wanted to see the fox he had shot :ph34r: so we walked over to the spot and no charlie to be seen , when I told him I saw the strike to wouldnt have it and told me that there was no-way I could see that at night.

My patience was getting very thin by now, and I said we had to go as things we not right with his gun , and he needed to check the zero.

We got back to his car and I asked him why dosent he have rounds to hand if he is only shooting a single shot rifle , His answer was it wasnt a single shot but He only puts one round in the rifle at a time as he has lost 4 magazines over the last 14months,

It was frieghtning to think that there are poeple out there using centre fire rifles that shouldnt have an air gun in my opinion.

I was glad to get the hell out of there lads , its idiots like this who will end up doing something stupid and dangerous and end the sport for us all :mad:

Had a call late yesterday while in work from a guy who has been on to me for ages to go lamping with him and to see the way i do things when calling.

So after a 3/4hr drive I turned up at his house way out in the sticks , He made me welcome and had a cuppa and he explained that he was having trouble when him and his friend were lamping ,that he couldnt get foxes in range to shoot ,he tried calling with various calls,which he showed me and demonstated how they should be used :blush: .

Then things changed a little, from me going to show him what I did ,to me going and doing the things he thought the way they should be done,and he suggested that I go out with him using all his kit , lamp ,calls etc. :D , I declined on the calls as I only use my own :blush:

He got his rifle and bits and pieces and we had a little safety chat ,I have been in situations before and it is a very un-nerving feeling when someone sweeps you with a loaded rifle believe me :excl: .

So off you go to his piece of land where he and his mate had been a couple of weeks before, we got set up and I asked him what he wanted to do ,

We will go that way,I know theres a fox over there I always see him and have missed him a couple of times,

( I should have relised there and then that this was going to be an eye opener :ph34r: )

He wanted to approach the fox with the stiff breeze following us ,the charlie would have known we were about soon before we had seen him.

I suggested we go another route and was put firmly in my place, "Where Going This Way".

so off we set through a gate way and I had a quick scan and a pair of eyes disappared through a gate facing us ajoining another field,

"Come On " he shouted, (this was like a carry on film) , We got to the gate and the fox was at the other end of the field goimg through another gate .

"try calling him" was the next suggestion :D

When I said it would be a waste of time trying to call that fox he said to me you wont know if you dont try, so to keep the piece I started calling for about 10mins,

I called 2 foxes in behind us at the same time , when I tapped him on the shoulder to signal there was a charlie about , when he saw him he said "FOX" in a loud voice.

anyway these 2 legged it and it was time for a little chat.

I explained the best I could that it wasnt the best idea to try and call a fox that is down wind and also that I is a good idea to be fairly quiet when your out and about.

His next words were ,well you show me how you would do it , I asked him to stay just behind me on my right side , this wouldnt intefere with the lamping and I always would know where he was,and when I had a fox in the light he could approach and set up accordingly.

We walked right to the far boundry of the farm so we were walking into the wind all the way , I got to an good viewing area which was elevated about 20ft above all the other fields I could see. I had a scan and saw nothing so started calling, next thing I had three foxes around me all within 200yrds .

I decided to take the one behind us first, he got down on the bipod and fired, missed ,reload I said the fox had gone about 60yards to our right and had stopped, next thing I see him unzipping his coat and pulling out a box and taking a round out , putting the box back in his coat ,doing up the zip , taking the magazine out of the rifle and putting the round in ,then putting the mag back in the gun ,then closing the bolt and expecting the fox to still be there.

The fox by now had gone ,so I swung round and there were still 2 out infront , the closest being 160yrds away just sitting there , nail that one I said ,

He moved position and bang , missed again , and this time I saw the strike in the bank behind , about 4" high , .

I flicked the lamp off and told him he had missed , then he told me he had shot the fox right between the eyes and he seen the bullet impact. :D

I was puzzeled as this wasnt as I had seen it, but I thought I could be wrong, I told him to reload and again , we went through the same thing again, .

I said give the bullets to me and I will hand them to you as you need them , he reloaded and the other fox was moving away , I started calling and the fox come right in to about 80yrds , I stopped the fox and waited , and waited , shoot I was saying under my breath, the fox started sniffing and was on the move , I stopped him again , and waited .

I looked down to him laying beside me , He was there Texting on his "F********G moblie phone,

At this point the lamp went off and I could feel it brewing,

"Come on then were finished for the night", I said

"WHY " was the reply , I decided to be dipolmatic and said it was clear he had other things to do ,hence the texing and we should leave the lamping for another time .

Anyway before we went he wanted to see the fox he had shot :ph34r: so we walked over to the spot and no charlie to be seen , when I told him I saw the strike to wouldnt have it and told me that there was no-way I could see that at night.

My patience was getting very thin by now, and I said we had to go as things we not right with his gun , and he needed to check the zero.

We got back to his car and I asked him why dosent he have rounds to hand if he is only shooting a single shot rifle , His answer was it wasnt a single shot but He only puts one round in the rifle at a time as he has lost 4 magazines over the last 14months,

It was frieghtning to think that there are poeple out there using centre fire rifles that shouldnt have an air gun in my opinion.

I was glad to get the hell out of there lads , its idiots like this who will end up doing something stupid and dangerous and end the sport for us all :mad:

your dead right there and these s guys know it all ,i only hunt,shoot with a small few lads .when taking clients out i stand beside them as they load there rifles ,no rounds in the chambers till were ready to shoot please ,but blazer is safe this system canot fire till i push the safety on ,my answer is do you want to go hunting ,o yes then unload your rifle till i ask you to load it .i heard this 3 times this rut from guys .hear in ireland there is some bunch of dick heads after getting high power rifles in the last 5 or so years its only a matter of thim before some one is in a accident

i hate to say it and i agree as to why we musnt go down this road

but...

its tales like this that make me think we should have a proficancy test to owna gun at all

i hate to say it and i agree as to why we musnt go down this road

but...

its tales like this that make me think we should have a proficancy test to owna gun at all

i agree but not a £200 odd price tag that the basc will probably charge,

it could be incorporated into the licence fee, a basic 1 hr safety course run by the local issuing police force headed up by the flo, it could work.

Hi Andy ,

It certinly sounds like the title right enough!!!!!

In this sport we are forever learning new things ( if we want to that is ) , as you know , i dont do alot of foxing here in Cornwall and if i do , its just to sort out problems when lambing or on the odd duck ponds!!!

Unfortunately some always know better even when being offered good solid advice!!!!

Like the advice yourself and Dave shared with myself on the turkey farm , so open mind + good advice = great result!!!! :blush::D

Must thank you again for such a awesome experince and learning curve!!!!

All the best Captin!!!!!!!! :D:ph34r:

RAY............................. :D:ph34r:

yes its a sad day when people like described above can hold any firearm, And are not willing to bend to what other people think are the right ways of doing things,

i had a 28 year old guy who lost his FAC due to a few minor run ins with the law, Ask me to zero his rifle for him. i zeroed it in about 10 mins and handed him the gun, A hornet by the way,

i put a fresh target up and taped it to the 5 gallon drum he had... told him to take a few shots with it to see if he was happy, 5 shots at a 5 gallon drum NEVER hit the target once, or the drum for that matter

he said it wasn't zeroed and call me a useless C**T to which i said give me a try put 5 round down in about roughly an inch, he lost the plot and told me i was lucky, i grabed the turrets and gave them a good few twists both in elevation and windage, handed the gun to him and told him to zero it himself, As he clearly needed shooting practice,

hadn't got the slightest clue of safety with the gun,

paints all shooters in a bad light when something happens....

Patience of a saint mate :D

Got an 11 year old son that lamps for me and spots for that matter . wouldn't swap him for most adults I've been out with :blush:

A few on the site been out with us and commend the lad on his performance .

Best steer clear of such people . Once is enough as you've found out.

I can relate to your problem Nemasis.

Went out lamping fox one night with a lad who was in our deer syndicate but not a known friend. I had offered to drive with him being a left hander and he could shoot out of the window with his 25.06.

My lad who was about 8 at the time was sat in the back and he is gun wise (for an 8 year old that is?).

While wondering round one field I got us stuck in a boggy bit.

The nameless shooter gets out and says I will nip to the farm for a tractor.

I said aren't you taking your bolt as you don't know me from adam.

No it will be ok he says.

After he's gone I thought I better check so I said to my lad with the gun in the back did he do anything with the rifle?

No he said

So I got it out and not only did it have a full magazine but one up the spout as well.

Gave him some that which promotes growth and vigour when he came back.

nemasis a frightening story.

i tend to shoot and lamp solely with my father (past 20yrs) you forget that there are people out there like this when you shoot with the same partner on a regular bases . i have shot on pheasant shoots with the odd trigger happy fellow, can be intresting on times.

a lot of people lack the very basic safety knowledge , people dont seem to realise that that when you squeeze that trigger and the gun fires you can do nothing to recall that bullet its on its way to where you were last pointed.......neil

i know a lad like that i try and keep as far as i can from him now..he pointed his gun at me more than once i told him i would never take him out again ..he said the safety was on ? and he said it was not loaded ,,i said i aint botherd i never want to see the barrel of any gun pointing my way ..and he can not shoot to save his life .and if he does hit some thing it was 150yrds out but in real life it was only 50yrds out after takeing 3 shots at it ..best to keep away from the like of theses people ..safety is number one when im out with any body ..

Well Andy you hung around longer than i would of, nothing worse than someone asking for advice and then still doing it their own way.

My son is the only person i lamp with as we have a certain routine and safety is paramount, we take it in turns with the lamp and the rifle.

How the hell do you lose your magazine????? What a total prat, needless to say you will be avoiding him like the plaque!!!!

What a ######.

He asks for help, gets offered it the declines to listen. Don't you just know that he will also let drive at a skylined one.

You have more patience than me !.

As an aside a friend rang me tonight to say that his 14 year old son who has lamped for him (and me sometimes!) for the last 3 years and shot a few rabbits with a rimmy had his first fox last week, 230 yards off the Landrover bonnet. Dad told me he thought it had gone but just caught an eye flash, son had been watching what he thought was charlie through the NSX when the lamp lit him up sideways on, he immediatly shot it just as dad was thinking no way the lad would be quick enough. 55gr in a .243 did the buisness, chest dead center.

Thats how it should be done.

A

That could cause possable legal issues maybe, not worth the aggro but maybe a pm to members within an hours drive would be OK.

Thing is the guy just wants training, oh and his rifle setting up on a 150 yard zero. How the hell do you loose 4 mags, I have never lost one. I use a single shot rifle and have spare rounds on the stock, having a mag and not using it and having spare rounds in pockets is utter stupidity.

A

Archived