Long range Crow shot

between the eyes

Well like the title says my best shot yet!

James and I were busy this morning (Christmas Eve) and so at 2pm we decided enough was enough and ventured up to one of the farms that we shoot and try for a long range shot at either a bunny or a Crow.

I arrived and waited for his nibbs, whilst waiting I walked down the lane, about 15 yards from the farm house for a look in the fields. There were a few Crows about but nothing else. James arrived and we could see some Crow activity up to our right, I deliberated wether or not I could make the shot, the Crows were sat on fence posts along the dry stone wall 2 fields away, and with a hill as a back stop they looked inviting. Could I take one out? I asked myself this over and over again, James urged me to have a crack at one.. I rested on the gate post and as I lined one up in my sights my heartbeat was moving the scope away from the target bird, thats how far it was! I altered my stance and reduced the heartbeat movement, aimed a little high (2 inches) and gently pulled the trigger towards me. The .243 let the round loose and I lost sight of my target. All around Crows were calling in a frenzy, they didn't like the sound of the Winchester Silver Tip being released, they circled in the air and gradually flew to the safety of the nearby forrest.

We walked up the fields to where the birds had been sat, not sure if I had done the business or not, James said that he had heard the tell tale thud, I wasn't so sure, but worth a look all the same.

There it was, at the other side of the wall, well some of it was There was a big lump of it on our side of the wall, some "mince" on the top of the wall and a dead body on the other side. James did his gun dog bit and kindly jumped over the barbed wire to fetch it for the obligatory photo shoot. He took the photos too. :blush:

So, that was my best ever long range shot, 342 yards! :D

Rifle is a standard but shortened Winchester 70, T8 moderator and a cheep (100.00) Chineese scope. 6-24 x 56

DSC00014.jpg

Mince anyone? :D

DSC00015.jpg

Shot taken from the bottom of the page to the top.

shot-1.jpg

James and I were busy this morning (Christmas Eve) and so at 2pm we decided enough was enough and ventured up to one of the farms that we shoot and try for a long range shot at either a bunny or a Crow.

I arrived and waited for his nibbs, whilst waiting I walked down the lane, about 15 yards from the farm house for a look in the fields. There were a few Crows about but nothing else. James arrived and we could see some Crow activity up to our right, I deliberated wether or not I could make the shot, the Crows were sat on fence posts along the dry stone wall 2 fields away, and with a hill as a back stop they looked inviting. Could I take one out? I asked myself this over and over again, James urged me to have a crack at one.. I rested on the gate post and as I lined one up in my sights my heartbeat was moving the scope away from the target bird, thats how far it was! I altered my stance and reduced the heartbeat movement, aimed a little high (2 inches) and gently pulled the trigger towards me. The .243 let the round loose and I lost sight of my target. All around Crows were calling in a frenzy, they didn't like the sound of the Winchester Silver Tip being released, they circled in the air and gradually flew to the safety of the nearby forrest.

We walked up the fields to where the birds had been sat, not sure if I had done the business or not, James said that he had heard the tell tale thud, I wasn't so sure, but worth a look all the same.

There it was, at the other side of the wall, well some of it was There was a big lump of it on our side of the wall, some "mince" on the top of the wall and a dead body on the other side. James did his gun dog bit and kindly jumped over the barbed wire to fetch it for the obligatory photo shoot. He took the photos too. :blush:

So, that was my best ever long range shot, 342 yards! :D

Rifle is a standard but shortened Winchester 70, T8 moderator and a cheep (100.00) Chineese scope. 6-24 x 56

DSC00014.jpg

Mince anyone? :D

DSC00015.jpg

shot-1.jpg

342y that is a very very good shot on a crow, by anyone's standards.

well done - keep it up

ATB

Colin :D

Is that a crop circle and Captain Spock waving on your goggle map picture ????????????????????

I think somebody have doped by christmas pudding

Happy shooting everybody

dam good shot BTW

Sure is Dr Spock, he often beems down when were shooting.. Pointy eared git.

Thanks for the comments guys, the ammo BTW was a 55 grain Winchester Silver tip, factory ammo too! :blush:

well done buddy!!!!!! :blush::D

Welcome to the 300yd club!!!!!!!!! :D

All the best................

RAY.................................... :D:ph34r:

Thanks guys, I'm already in the club though.. :lol: = smug mode.. :lol: Only ever tried two shots at over 300 yds and hit em both! :lol:
Just can't see that far anymore! Well done!

There it was, at the other side of the wall, well some of it was There was a big lump of it on our side of the wall, some "mince" on the top of the wall and a dead body on the other side. James did his gun dog bit and kindly jumped over the barbed wire to fetch it for the obligatory photo shoot. He took the photos too. :)

So, that was my best ever long range shot, 342 yards! :(

DSC00014.jpg

Mince anyone? ;)

DSC00015.jpg

shot-1.jpg

top shooting mate nice one. what site did you get over head view from ? i would like to be able to get detailed pictures of my shoot like that

Chaps,

I'd recommend clipping the lat long (the numbers bottom left on the view) off any of the google Earth pics you post; it's as good as posting the grid reference of where you're shooting!

For eg 30 secs on google Earth has given me all the info I would need to drive to the shown farm. (for eg -in deliberately 'fudged' terms: 1.75miles NW of a village starting with 'C' and 0.3 miles off an 'A' road with the number '7' in it).

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no one after me :rolleyes:

Archived