Advice please..........

Guest martin

I am looking to get myself a new rifle that would be a dedicated fox rifle,I currently have a space for a .22/250,and,the question I have is...........

If I was to source a shotout rifle,or,an action,and then put a stainless match grade barrel on it,and,maybe a synthetic/laminate stock what sort of outlay do you think I would need,and,has anyone got a decent action for sale.

I may of over simplified this,but,if I have then please tell me,because I am a bit out of my depth.Thanks in advance for your advice.....................martin.

p.s. I don't want to break the bank.

Off top of head

Shot out Rem or Tikka - average £350

Pac Nor or LW stainless tube - about £250 depends on xch rate

Composite stock from Manners, Mcmillan, Wild dog or HS Precision - anything from £300 upwards

Bottom metal - you can use donor rifles.

It can be done for less using a laminate stock.

Then you need to find someone to do the work for you, plenty of chaps on here and more "out there"

If its a dedicated fox rifle which is going to be rebarreled go for a 22-250AI just for the hell of it, turn charlie into chuncks downrange. In all seriousness tho have a search around the back rooms of you local gunshops, i found a decent remmy 700 243 for 200 notes, Bargin!! that action is just awaitin the time and funds for a 243 AI barrle to be cut and fitted to it ;)

An older Sako 579 or the like can be had for £250 - £300. Start keeping an eye on guntrader.

Thanks 'LB' I have been scanning the pages of Guntrader for a Remmy 700,and there are a few around £250.....martin.

Bear in mind that these Rem 700's will probably by ADL's (blind magazine models) if you intend to say restock and rebarrel, and use a floorplate mag system (from Remington), you will need a floorplate, spring, follower and a BDL magazine "box" which will add £60 -£80 (new) to your budget.

If i was you and was going to build myself a semi custom rifle i would look at the sako 75.

good action to start of this type of project,they seem to shoot with out the need for blueprinting,well the ones we have done do,and all so all the ones i have heard of do as well, this can not be said for the rem action.

the triggers are good,and will easily go down to a nice crisp weight.You don't have to rush out and buy a mcmillan stock,as the synthetic stocks that come with the sako 75 are quit good.and if you fancy a laminate one(as you mention in your post) they do come with one of them as well,and they are a nice looking one as well.

another benefit is the mag system on the sako 75,probably the best mag system available,(in my opinion) i have yet to see one that works as well or looks as good,(nice flush finish)And that includes custom mags.

Yes a sako 75 will cost a bit more in initial out lay,but i think you will save in the long run with not having to true up the action,

of the top of my head i would think this would cost somewhere around £200 to £250.

to re barrel both actions would cost £500 to £700 depending on who and what type of barrel you decide to use.

the stainless steel sako 75 action can can be made to look brand new with vapour blasting,this is a relatively cheap process.

take a look at MC clouds in Scotland they normally have a few sakos in stock.at reasonable prices.

just my take on things,

ATB

Colin :D

I agree with Colin on the suggestion of using a Sako 75 and second his view that the magazine is really good, 5 rnds (6 if you chamber one first) and still a truly flush line to the stock. I would just add that if the donor rifle ends up costing £250 - £300 and the new barrel cost runs up to £600 - £700 then you are in the realms of buying a new Sako 85 Stainless Fluted Laminate. I have one of these in .243 win as my estate rifle and using factory ammo (Rem 75 grain Accutip) it is honestly as accurate (if not more) than my two semi custom rifles. I have shot more than 250 park deer with this in the last five months with no problems at all (except for the occaisional moment of pilot error!). I also have an old and well worn 75 SS in .308 win for wild deer and this is not far behind in the accuracy stakes. JC

The sako is a great action as Col says, but i,ll take a dozen at £200 each . :D

Dave,

please re read my post,it says truing/ blueprinting an action will be £200 to £250

<Yes a sako 75 will cost a bit more in initial out lay,but i think you will save in the long run with not having to true up the action,

of the top of my head i would think this would cost somewhere around £200 to £250.>

And you say you will only take a dozen, ;) i will have as many as anyone can get there hands on :o:lol:

ATB

Colin :o

Ok different slant on the issue (budget)

Buy a brand new Barnard SM repeater action (circa £500)

Have it barrelled - (500 - 700?)

Get a Rem laminate stock 2nd hand (£60)

Use Rem BDL metal work for the mag (£60 - 80) new

You then have a full custom at a budget.

Sorry Col, you are quite right buddy, i misread it.

It would be great if they were only 200 quid though wouldn,t it ? :D

i have a 75 rebarrelled in 6mmbr, and its not blueprinted.Its probarbly the most accurate rifle i,ve ever owned.

On the subject of budget customs Ronin, We intend to offer the lawton custom action, at very little more than an sps remmy rifle [most of which gets junked] and certainly less than a blueprinted remmy action from the same.

Col, Andy, anyone else still up ...very best wishes for Xmas, and a happy an prosperous new year, friends.

Dave.

Hi Baldie,what sort of price will you be doing the Lawton actions for mate,Oh,and a VERY Merry Xmas to you and your family............................martin.

you can pm me if you want to.

You will have to drop Roger a mail at the shop guys, as i dont know the exact prices. There is a shipment due to land mid january i believe, and they are the .308 b/f repeater actions. We,ve already had the long actions. If anyone wants anything exotic like l/h or right bolt left port etc, these can be ordered, as its now operating on a monthly order system, and a rolling order set up.

Archived