On or Off the lands

auquhollie

I was helping a mate working up a hunting load and it got me thinking about were to seat the tips. I normally put my tips into the lands by 10 -20 thow. That is for VLD loads though. We seated his 5 thow into the lands and they shot that which promotes growth and vigour (243 AI 85gr speer spitzers) I have told him to repeat the same loads and seat them 20 thow off the lands instead of into them.

Were do you lads seat your tips for a hunting load, say a 95 grain BT ??.

ATB

Ads :D

I was helping a mate working up a hunting load and it got me thinking about were to seat the tips. I normally put my tips into the lands by 10 -20 thow. That is for VLD loads though. We seated his 5 thow into the lands and they shot that which promotes growth and vigour (243 AI 85gr speer spitzers) I have told him to repeat the same loads and seat them 20 thow off the lands instead of into them.

ATB

Ads :D

i normally start 5tho of the lands.and seat them in to the case 5 tho increments until the rifle shoots.

ATB

Colin ;)

My non VLD loads I start around 10 thou off the lands, I've found over the years its a good base point to start.

I've personally found ballisic tips don't like being seated into the lands and I;ve had more sucess with them backed off.

Cheers

Dave

Guest varmartin

If the chambers is cut for heavy bullets and your loading lighter heads start with at least a ` calibers` width in the case....if the bullet is hanging out the neck, tension may be insufficient or erratic.

Try some seated so the base of the bullet is close to the end of the neck/shoulder junction and reduce the load some.....you may be surprised how accurate a load is produced.

When i load test i make one lot of rounds (varying in charge weigths) touching the lands and one lot (varying in charge weight) at standard reccommended lenght. most of the loads have shot better at standard length. The only exception is my .223 with scenars and my 7mm with berger Vlds which both like to be into the lands.

my .243AI with 87gr VMax like to be at 2.655" any closer to lands open groups by 1/2". all shoot within 1" at worst including 100gr'ers

ATB

Ads ;)

I run 85grn Speer spitzers in a Tikka M595 .243 at 40thou off the lands for general hunting use. This rifle is not tight chambered and will shoot everything from 58grn BT's to 100grn soft points under 1moa. I'll probably cop some flak for this, :D but the cleaning regime is twice a year, and it goes out 2-3 times a week regularly and still remains accurate. Your mate will just have to do the same as the rest of us and load from touching to wherever the rifle is most accurate. For a hunting load I would have thought that once 1/2moa is achieved that will be a happy place to be.

Pete.

When I bought my .243 (Tikka T3) about 4 years ago, I tried a variety of factory ammo until I found what it prefered (Sako 90gn). When I started reloading, I set my OAL the same as the factory rounds until I had a good load. I then tried altering the seating depth going up to 10 thou off the lands, mine shot best at 30 thou off the lands. Now after 4 years, I can only seat the bullets as long as the magazine which is about 95 thou off the lands, she still puts 3 shots into about .6" though.

Unless I'm shooting cast bullets I load them to SAAMI length (+/-) anymore. Seems to be the right spot for so many bullets! My CZ Hornet will not feed from the magazine with any rounds longer than SAAMI spec.,which is waaay off of the lands. A good, even pull weight gives accuracy in this instance.~Andrew

Andrew

could you advise where there data is available for SAAMI (and maybe CIP - the euro equivalent)

Is it on line or in book form - just interested, thank you ;)

Recommended maximum OAL is in all reloading books. Admittedly, not all of it is SAAMI regulated, but it's a good place to start.

If I've got a bullet hanging onto the case mouth by it's base, regardless of spec, I seat it deeper. I mean, what's the point of expensive reloading dies if you're not going to use the case neck for bullet alignment? For practical reasons, I start at the magazine length of the rifle I'm using. If it's a singly-loaded target gun then any and all lengths are on the table: It simply comes down to what shoots best.~Andrew

Cheers lads. Some interesting replys there. I think we will try taking them off the lands in 5 thow increments. I will see what they shoot like.

ATB

Ads ;)

When I first loaded for my 7-08 I just copied the same length as factory ammo I had. It worked a treat and the rounds only just fit into my mag. Gave great results for hunting so i'll be sticking to them. However with my encore I can have a play with out a magazine to worry about. I have found the thread really helpful.

cheers folks

RF

already a member and have been for several months.

Andrew

thanks, I wondered if there was a data sheet or pdf file of info on recommended seating depths head space (go / no go) measurements etc..

Archived