Pistol for Humane Dispatch?

Guest Tiff

I'm after your opinions, as to whether its worth me putting in a variation for a .32 pistol. I've work a lot on farms in my spare time (when not studying or shooting) and have to dispatch 15-40 animals a year. Currently I have got my 7.62, 12 bore and .410 slug on my license as an extra condition for 'Humane Killing'. This gives me a few options on the larger animals - bullocks with broken legs etc. However I find they are all a bit OTT for sheep in the sheds - certainly not a place for the 7.62 or 12 bore! The .410 is also very loud and scares the rest of the stock. While a .22 rifle would be ok, I would still have trouble confining a sheep/holding it and shooting it with a rifle 24+ inches long! I'm also unable to dispatch horses at the moment, due to the awkwardness of a rifle. So on these grounds would I be allowed a .32 pistol for dispatch. Plus is there any other paperwork that I would need other than an FAC?

Also the other week I nearly got killed twice while tending to a mortally wounded red stag. A friend shot it in the back of the boiler room, only clipping the lungs. I approached with a knife to bleed it out in the neck, but it picked up and threw its 10 points in my direction! If I hadn't been wearing 2 fleeces and Barbour it would have impaled me for sure. So I used my mates rifle (novice deer stalker) to administer a coup de grace shot. The .243 passed straight through and ricocheted of a piece of granite a few inches below the soil, back in our direction! Here a pistol would also of been very handy. If I was granted it for use on the farms, would they add a condition to be able to use it in the field stalking as well?

I appreciate any replies.

Tiff

Tiff, if when you apply, tell them you need to dispatch horses with it, and they will grant a .32 no problem, especially where you are with all the hunts, and deer you have. Be careful with it however, most ammo is jacketed h/p etc, and it is a powerful round in a confined space. Its overkill on calves etc, and you must have a safe backstop, as you will get exits. We used to have a round bale in the corner of the skinning shed for this purpose.

Thanks Baldie for the reply. Could I please have some help as to how exactly to apply and what to include. If I ask for a .32 pistol for the dispatch of horses and livestock -

1. Do I have to show physical evidence that I will be dispatching stock and where?

2. Do I need any other paperwork/relevant courses?

3. To dispatch horses, is there any other horse specific paperwork required? We have horses at home and my family regularly go hunting etc. So know many people that do unfortunately require this service form time to time.

4. If it is granted for the dispatch of livestock/horses, can I also use it in the field to dispatch deer? Or is that an additional condition? (After the other week, short of carrying my .410 while stalking, I don't think I could have resolved the issue any other way. I certainly don't want to be in that situation again!)

Any chance of some help on this one please guys? I'd rather present a full case to start with, than have it drag on for months, as the powers that be require 'just one more thing'...before its granted.

Hi Tiff,

I know bugger all about the UK law side but....32 cal (unless 32 H&R mag) seems "marginal" for dispatch of cows and horses - can you get a 4" 357 mag revolver and feed it 357 mag for big stuff and 38 special for sheep. A 357 mag revolver gives a lot of versatility. I think this would be easy to justify with the word "humane" and plod think a revolver is somewhat less dangerous than an auto (ignorance can be bliss).

I guess it it possible to get one for dispatch - a S&W 357 mag was on here a few months ago.

If you don't like revolvers 9mm (9 Para, 9x19) is middle road and over penetration can be avoided by using the right ammo.

I did a test a few years ago with everything from 44mag to 22LR with the ammo I could get here - 9mm with 147 grain flat points works well for me.

David.

Thanks for the pm Baldie and your post David.......

It is interesting to hear your comments on the .32 being a bit 'marginal'. I have heard several people say it penetrates well, but does not impart much energy in doing so. Whether this is just poor bullet choice or not, I'm not sure. From reading between the lines, it appears a .32 would be 'easy enough' to get granted, yet the plod in my area have a distinct dislike for .38/.357 or 9mm. They see them as to 'powerful' to be necessary. I shall give them a call again to discuss it further, but I think to many movies have influenced their judgement......

As for qualifications/paperwork, if anyone has got any ideas as to what is required that would be great.

Cheers Tiff

why do you not just get a captive bolt gun for live stock killing i use one and it is ok for the job

I've used them before, but personally do not like them and the sometimes necessary stirring etc...Plus it would not help the situation I was in the other week whilst stalking. That really did shake me up a bit!

My father had a little 32 ACP Mauser pistol.

That thing put down anything from pigs to Kudu.

One Kudu was leg wounded and was put down with a neck shot from a bit away. Bullet was

under the hide opposite side.

I think the 32 is a good compromise.

edi

Hi

I have a mauser 32 auto for humane dispatch. The police wanted to know how many time that I went stalking and how many wounded animals I had in a season. I told them that It did not matter if I only had one animal to dispatch in fiver year it fullfilled the reason why I wanted it. I also told them that I wanted to use it for shooting foxes in cage traps.

It is a lot cleaner than slitting a animals throat and more humane.

I know of a few guys who have 38/357 for humane dispatch. If you go stalking and you feel the need for one keep on to them as you are allowed to have a humane killer and there a good few being used by stalkers/hunt staff.

Dogfox

Archived