.357 lead

PaulC

I am looking to start reloading for My marlin .38 / .357 I am led to believe that .357 will be more accurate due to the jump of a .38 special any ideas or Advice on loads would be great.

I use ramshot zip - around 6.5 gr under a 158 grain lead bullet - I really would get a load book and work up in 0.2 gr increments - so 6, 6.2, 6.4, 6.6. 6.8 and 7 for the 158 gr / zip combination I mention so you tune your load to the rifle

I have also heard it suggested that mixing jacketed and lead bullets is bad for accuracy but have not seen it myself - I am not that accurate with my marlin

Is it Ballard or microgroove barrel ? I believe the latter are a bit fussier with lead bullets.

I use 357Magnum as I find it easier to handle/manipulate at speed (comps) and if you use 38Spl for a while, you might subsequently have difficulty chambering a 357mag round without first scrubbing chamber.

My rifle likes 180gr truncated cone cast bullets. More people seem to use 158gr bullets, though.

I'm my Marlin, the 180gr T/C works well for gallery comps (50yd max) over 3.6grn Bullseye or 5.0grn N340 or GM3.

I've never shot jacketed through it.

• 3 weeks later...

I shot hundreds of .38sp through my lever action with good results.

HOWEVER, when I returned to .357 for a spell, I had terrible accuracy problems. 

As above, a really good clean of the chamber to get the carbon fouling out of the end of it returned the rifle to it's usual self. (Took me a while to figure this out actually - Duh!)

I would just run .357 through it and find a load that works for you.

I run H110 at 15gr for my magnum load with jacketed and either GM3, bullseye or unique for shorter range subsonic stuff.

Archived