.223 Reloder 15

njc110381

Hey guys. I've just got back from the range after some load development and started cleaning the gun, the patch looks like I've been scrubbing out the lift shaft of a coal mine! Is RL15 known to be dirty? I couldn't get a decent group after the first two rounds - I wonder if it could be down to the amount of fouling?

The first two were about 5mm apart, then from that I went on to not be able to get much under an inch and a half. The case necks were filthy. I think I need to look for something a bit cleaner! Any suggestions? I'm using 65gr Gamekings in a sporter profile Sako 75, 1-8 twist.

Vit 135 I reckon would be a good way to go....Possibly Vit 140 but you may be really filling the case when working up top end loads?.....I believe RL15 has been known for dirty burning ,,,,its a powder I abandoned for my 6BR,s a few years back due to fouling. .......may not have been the fault of the powder but not going back to experiment again now,,,,,

I'd stick with Viht or RS powders NJC. Looking at your cases on Sunday, your description is not an exaggeration!  I use N133 up to 60gr and for anything heavier in ,223, RS50 works very well and burns really cleanly.  It's be a great choice for the 65 gamekings.  I tried N140 with the 60 to 69gr bullets but using RS50 achieved better groups and higher velocities.  N135 might have been the better choice over N140 though for the 65gr.

Archived