Duracoat Substitute

Without the intent of another Duracoat thread devolving into a pissing match, I thought I'd point people to a Duracoat "substitue" (not really a substitute, just the commercial name of the paint).

"Polane T" is the commercial name and is available here in the states through "Sherwin Williams" paint stores (not sure about the UK).

Duracoat Commercial avaialbility thread

Without the intent of another Duracoat thread devolving into a pissing match, I thought I'd point people to a Duracoat "substitue" (not really a substitute, just the commercial name of the paint).

"Polane T" is the commercial name and is available here in the states through "Sherwin Williams" paint stores (not sure about the UK).

Duracoat Commercial avaialbility thread

The problem with any product from the states is it has got to go through the Health & Safety compliance once its here. It cant be retailed without the correct documentation in place. Any substitute will still have the same issues as Duracoat, its not cheap to buy, the company doesnt like shipping outside the US due to its HAZ CHEM status. I know of UK chemical companies that have looked at Duracoat and its just not worth the bother commercially.

Duracoat is readily available here, its just the cost, and the demand is a fraction of what it is in the States.

I spoke to duracoat a long wile ago and all so received there dvd on how to apply it.and shipping was not a problem, the cost was about $150 for xxx amount of stuff.

so i can not see any problem with anyone sending for it them selves,ether kals or this other product.

just the cost of shipping.

ATB

Colin ;)

I spoke to duracoat a long wile ago and all so received there dvd on how to apply it.and shipping was not a problem, the cost was about $150 for xxx amount of stuff.

so i can not see any problem with anyone sending for it them selves,ether kals or this other product.

just the cost of shipping.

ATB

Colin ;)

It the shipping thats the killer, then the VAT and import duty. The standard charge fo the shipping doesnt get you a lot of product. They do ship but they only do it if they have to, they would rather not bother at all.

I guess I wasn't clear in my intent in posting this data. (my fault I suppose)

I just wanted to post the commercial name and the variants (in the thread) so that you guys in the UK might be able to determine if your painting wholesalers carry it under the commercial name (and have already footed the bill for the Health & Safety certification/tests).

I didn't mean to imply you guys ordering it from the states, just wanted to give the name to see if your local "Sherwin Williams" (or whatver the local paint retailers are there) carry the same commercial product so you might be able to get out from the monopoly of Duracoat/Lauer has there in the UK.

Sorry for the confusion...

It the shipping thats the killer, then the VAT and import duty. The standard charge fo the shipping doesnt get you a lot of product. They do ship but they only do it if they have to, they would rather not bother at all.

they said and i quote no problem at all. please let us know how much you need.

but i did not send for any.

colin ;)

You guys may find something of interest on here........

http://www.aerospheres.com/

YEA GO TO THE PAINT SECTION A ND LOOK FOR AERODURA I THEN GOOGLED IT AND CAME UP WITH THIS

http://www.anac.com/products/DataSheets/30-02.pdf

While we are on the subject of Duracoat substitutes, i bought some of this for my latest project

Durabake.jpg

Its Durabake from Lauer's which i bought from Midway.co.uk for £23.

Its really simple to use, no mixing, no hardeners just spray it on with your minijet or airbrush and bake for 30 minutes at gas mark 3.

257_Build_part_3_021.jpg

Here's the results on my Borden Timberline action, i also did the triggerguard assembly and bottom metal as well.

Ian.

While we are on the subject of Duracoat substitutes, i bought some of this for my latest project

Durabake.jpg

Its Durabake from Lauer's which i bought from Midway.co.uk for £23.

Its really simple to use, no mixing, no hardeners just spray it on with your minijet or airbrush and bake for 30 minutes at gas mark 3.

257_Build_part_3_021.jpg

Here's the results on my Borden Timberline action, i also did the triggerguard assembly and bottom metal as well.

Ian.

just getting some of them actions in my self Ian. probably getting some alpines in as well. i see you went for the bolt knob addition,or is it one of your own.

it depends on the price as the dollar to pound is not good at the mo

maybe worth a new thread to discuss the actions ??? IE tolerances and so on. as i would be interested in hearing about them.

ATB

Colin ;)

PS it looks good i just don't like how the flutes on the bolt stop short of being covered by the action port. i guess this is because of the Borden bumps

Yes Col i went for Bordens own bolt handle, i had a Timberline previously which came with the Remmy bolt handle.

It was horrendous, it actually looked worse then on a Remington action, i swapped it in the end and silver soldered a stainless Holland bolt handle in its place.

I opted for the factory installation this time because my silver soldering abilities cannot match the quality of the factory installed bolt handle.

Ian.

Yes Col i went for Bordens own bolt handle, i had a Timberline previously which came with the Remmy bolt handle.

It was horrendous, it actually looked worse then on a Remington action, i swapped it in the end and silver soldered a stainless Holland bolt handle in its place.

I opted for the factory installation this time because my silver soldering abilities cannot match the quality of the factory installed bolt handle.

Ian.

Ian

i have had the same conversation about the bolt handles this morning with one of my customers.and we where ov the same opinion.but an easy fix for them at the factory.

how do you find the actions? as I'm getting quite fond of them.

looks like i might have to build myself a 6.5x284 on one.

my only other choice of action would be a Kelby grizzly action,

ATB

Colin

I am very interested in these actions myself for possibly a light weight foxing/varmint rifle in some sort of 20 cal hotrod, anyone know what price the alpine with the bolt add-on are going for?

I am very interested in these actions myself for possibly a light weight foxing/varmint rifle in some sort of 20 cal hotrod, anyone know what price the alpine with the bolt add-on are going for?

just waiting for a price to come back.

ATB

Colin :P

Archived