A trip out with Vern.

6mmBR

Well after we had completd mission impossible Nem and I headed off to catch up with Vern the keeper on an estate that Andy shoots on.

We arrived bang on 9.15 and Vern had the Landy all fired up to go.

Now on Tuesday I picked up my 6.5-284 and had done some load development and it was shooting 140 A max into one hole at 100 yards, so I was keen to test it out. The problem being its not moderated :lol: Andy asked Vern was it ok and the reply was yes as we were shooting well away from any inhabitation :lol: well it would be rude not to christen a rifle.

So off we went, driving around the estate roads. We saw a couple of foxes but they didn't hang around and the only one which did was skylined :(

So we thought we'd pop over Jims for an hour and come back to see if we could get those elusive ones later.

On the estate drive Andy picked up a set of eyes glinting back 2 fields away. He started to call and the fox started to trot in our direction. Then the bugger dropped into a ditch and disappeared from view, the ditch ended 40 yards from us in a mass of brambles, barbed wire and gates, not an easy shot if he popped out. Luckily he emerged from the ditch around 100 yards from us in the field and stopped. The cross hairs locked on his shoulder, I squeezed the trigger and I watched the impact of that 140 A max lift the fox then slam it to the floor :D the first round in anger and a clean kill.

DSCF0876.jpg

Anyway back to Verns side of the estate, we carried on driving around and we sportted a fox in a field behind a small copse of trees, we drove around to try and make the shot but despite Andy's calling he trotted off.

Andy lamped the field and on swinging the beam behind him picked up a pair of eyes at the wood edge. Vern positioned the truck and I sent another 140 A max on its way, well what a crunch on impact and the rifle was 2 fo 2.

Heading back to the estate main gates we saw a fox across a dip on a bank in rough grass. Now this was strange Andy started to call to try and get him in closer and the bugger dissapeared over the bank and away from us :(

we started to move on, Vern had only just pulled off when the fox reappeared and Andy banged sharply on the roof.

Vern stopped, Andy said take him from here as there are a few very lamp shy foxes on this patch.

Andy reckoned the shot was around 220 yards, so with a 6.5-284 the drop was only going to be around 2-3 inches low.

I held the cross hairs slightly high on the fox and touched off the shot, the big A max flattened the fox with a resounding thump.

DSCF0878.jpg

3/3 I was chuffed and another fantastic night of Nemasis fox safaris came to an end.

Thanks again for a great night out, 8 foxes for me in a night is a record :D

Cheers

Dave

Dave that is sure one hell of a gun, when I put it to my shoulder the stock was so comfortable and the trigger is to die for, You got to take you hat off to Kelby they sure know how to put all the bits together,she's a bute :lol:

Hi Martin/ Jinks the rifle is built by Kelbly in the USA.

She is built on a Stolle Panda F class action with an intergral 20 MOA rail.

She is in 6.5-284 with a no neck turn chamber but set up for Lapua brass.

DSCF0869.jpg

She has a Jewel trigger set at 8 oz and is in a Mc Millan Mc Hale stock finished in blue and white swirl.

She has a 30" Kreiger barrel with a 1 in 8.5 twist and its fluted.

The action has been pillar bedded and then the whole rifle polished including the mounts.

DSCF0867.jpg

The rifle is shooting bug holes with 140 A max and Bergers and 142 SMK's are not far behind. The 1000 yard rabbit is now in real trouble.

This rifle I thought I would never see as it was ordered with Litts before they went bankrupt.

Luckily I contacted Kelbly's direct and a friend of mine managed to get it imported.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave ,

Well done on a cracking time on the foxes!!!! :rolleyes:

Thats one pretty rifle you got there mate , and i do remember telling you how them 140 A-maxs performed on vermin - you have obviously seen for yourself now!!!!! :lol: :lol:

All the best....................

RAY................................. :D:lol:

Load development is looking good.

This is a 3 shot group at 100 yards with 51.5 grains of H4831SC and a 140gn A max 10 thou off the lands.

DSCF0880.jpg

and a 3 shot group with 51gns H4831SC and a 140 Berger VLD 10 thou into the lands.

DSCF0881.jpg

I have loaded up more of these to try some 5 shot groups now barrel break in is complete, the early signs are looking excellent.

Cheers

Dave

Load development is looking good.

This is a 3 shot group at 100 yards with 51.5 grains of H4831SC and a 140gn A max 10 thou off the lands.

DSCF0880.jpg

and a 3 shot group with 51gns H4831SC and a 140 Berger VLD 10 thou into the lands.

DSCF0881.jpg

I have loaded up more of these to try some 5 shot groups now barrel break in is complete, the early signs are looking excellent.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

ALL i can say is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet looking rifle,and a shooter as well.

it don't get much better than that

ATB

Colin ;)

Cant wait to see how it shoots when you get things Right with the loading ;):lol::lol:

When you showed me those on Saturday Night Dave I was thinking to my self that 1000yrd Bunny Better have Kevlar on ;):lol:

Thats one hell of a group mate ,great shooting , ;)

Archived