7MM RUM

nemasis243

Hi Guys , I am just wondering to see if anyone out there has had or has any knowledge of the 7MMRem Ultr Mag :ph34r:

As I am looking for something for long stuff.

Might be able to give you feedback shortly- my gunsmith mate is chambering one tomorrow for a guy.

One thing I might be able to guess- it'll have about 800rounds left after load development and the barrel depreciation will be about NZ$1 every time you pull the trigger :))

Chris-NZ

PM Russell gall from RG rifles, i think he has just signed up to the forum. He has or at least had a 7mm ultra mag.

Hell of a wallop of the big bugger though.

Ads

Shot a 300 RUM at Warcop last month, belonged to AJW off here.

Rifle was fitted with a vias brake and displayed practically no recoil (well 243 level anyway)

Very accurate round / rifle, was shooting from seated position (yes really) and connecting with smallish rocks at 500 mtrs AND retained sight picture.

Not shot a 7mm RUM, barrel life may be an issue, but thats the payoff with magnums...

I certainly wouldnt rule out a RUM if I wanted a mag cased calibre.

Not sure how much advantage the RUM has over the WSM though in terms of inherant accuracy and velocity?

I've had a .300 RUM and changed fairly quickly to a .338LM and getting a spare barrel in 30-338 (once I can afford/design a reamer). The .300 RUM was great, as was the 7mmRUM I've fired in terms of ballistics etc. However the terrible Remington brass really lets it down ;) I've swapped to the Lapua case to get more than 3-5 reloads before the primer pockets come loose. I was not running at excessive pressure or anything, the brass was simply awful, compared to Lapua .338 brass. If you read the forums on the other side of the pond they say enough. Personally I would go for a 7mm-338 and run heavy 7mm at very high speeds. Barrel life would be poor at around 600-800, but ballistically it would pass anything, par maybe a wildcat 50-408 design. More for shooting at very very long distances than close in deer, but depends what your after. In short personally I'd use a .338LM or .300WM case instead.

Tiff

Dave Kiff has a dozen or so 30/338LM reamer prints and some 7mm/338LM prints.

Go to larger things mate (375 / 408 / 50).......you know it makes sense :rolleyes:;)

If your interested, there are some new lathe turned copper solids about to be released across the pond - from the manufactures mouth, "they will be cheaper than anything else available"

Having seen the pre run product, think they will be pretty good.....in any calibre :blink:

Is it for target work or deer ?

I,ve just built a pair of .300 RUM,s for a couple of guys who wanted to sit red stags on their arses at 500 yards. The cartridge will kill anything that walks in this country...at extreme range.

Archived