Wooden high tower pics wanted

auquhollie

Im looking to build a wooden high tower on one of the cross roads in the wood i stalk. I was wondering if there was anyone that has detailed pics of one that i could get a look at ? or even a copy of some plans ect

and no pics of the caravans on stilts either :rolleyes:

Ads...

Remind me, I can get pictures of three different styles.

I just need to get some new batteries for the camera.

That would be good also.

ATB

Ads

This is one of four similar high seats on our stalking ground

anotherhighseat.jpg

Basically the uprights are telegraph poles, the base of the seat is 4x2 with plywood top then the box is constructed above with a slanted roof.

There is a sliding seat within the box and 4 drop down viewing slits to give 360 degree views.

Very nice, dry in the wet but sometimes cold if your in there a long time.

We also have some ground hides that are similar but without the legs!

Here is same one different angle.

Highseat.jpg

These are really very good seats, been in place since late 70's (I think) and other than annual maintainence (replacing rotten panels) are pretty sturdy.

Not easy to move, but they do account for quite a few beasts annually when one looks at the cull figures.

There is another seat, from the same ground in the far LH edge - difficult to see, but its there

Greenfield001.jpg

That last ones a beaut ellwood.

Must have some arty members in your syndicate.

The estate is centred around a collage for rich hippie drop outs, er I mean fine arts and craft. The students built it last summer much to my disgust.

Im looking to build a wooden high tower on one of the cross roads in the wood i stalk. I was wondering if there was anyone that has detailed pics of one that i could get a look at ? or even a copy of some plans ect

and no pics of the caravans on stilts either :P

Ads...

The older steel scaffold towers make brilliant seats, put some sides and a roof on the platform , easily moved or adjusted for height, sorry no pics but I would think a mental picture is easily formed. They can be sourced fairly cheaply as everybody favours the alloy jobs nowadays, quickstage scaffolding also creates the same result. Paint them a sombre colour so they're less obvious on the landscape, and your local help yourself scrap dealers can't spot them so easily either.

Pete.

Hi

A few more ideas for you ...

I can get cutting lists for the larch if you want to go that way ..

IMG_0305.jpg

This is an older/higher design which we rekkon is not really necessary

IMG_0310.jpg

Same design again, probably too tall , and a sod to move once the plantation has grown up

IMG_0312.jpg

Good ol fashioned Ladder Seat .. but very effective at ride crossings

IMG_0307.jpg

Good Luck !

T260

Some of those towers really look the buiseness. I think i have an idea of what im after now. Just need to source the timber and loacte the best site for it. The one i was thinking of is maybe a bit to far from the nearest vehicle access point.

Thanks all for the pics.

Ads.. :lol:

Hi Ads,

There is a design of high seat called The Thetford, I believe designed by the Forestry Commission. It appears to be what you are looking for. I expect if you asked nicely, the FC might send you a set of plans or at least some information. Possibly someone from the St. Hubert Club may also be able to help.

There were several at Longleat and I found them very useful and comfortable. Ideal for a growing crop or at an intersection. They can be moved by toppling (carefully) onto a flatbed trailer.

Sorry, don't have any pictures.

Peter

Sadly h&s and political correctness have taken over and the FC is chopping all the wooden tower seats down unless a long leasee is prepared to take ownership and responsibility for them ( even then they really want to "fell them" ) but the design is exactly like those in the pics from Ronin, Elwood and Tikka 260. I have in the past taken all the timber, more or less cut to size and built them on site as it is far easier.

Aim for a floor space about 3ft square and when you are sat down the sides should allow you to see and shoot over them ( usually about 30-34 inches high ), if it is an exposed location it is better to make drop down shutters for each side so you can drop the one where the wind is blowing from and not die of exposure :lol: roof is optional but nice if it is raining.

Redfox

Archived