RPA Interceptor

After a good deal of research into an F/TR rifle, I had just about decided on a RPA Interceptor .308. However, having read recent threads, the "loose barrels" issue has now seriously dampened my enthusiasm. Is this problem more than just an odd occurrence, - which is still a major issue! or a widespread quality control issue??

maltbuck,

I had an RPA quadlite in an AICS stock with Border R5 barrel. It was the most accurate rifle I have had........and I have had a few. I sold it to a friend because it became too heavy for my needs.

The rifle was built by Mr. Armstrong at RPA - the work was excellent and the barrel did not come loose. I understand Mr Armstrong no longer works there and also RPA has changed both location and MD - I can not speak for current practices.

The RPA quadlite action was excellent, had very good lock up. True a 4 lug system makes for a stiff but short bolt lift. The RPA blue trigger was very adjustable, light and smooth.

There was only one thing I did not like about the RPA - the firing pin and inside the bolt shroud were not coated - parkerized. This meant that if the bolt got wet you needed to strip the bolt and dry it (or grease up the gas escape hole) otherwise you get rust on the firing pin and inside the bolt shroud.

David.

I have 2 RPA Interceptors, one in 6mmBR which has had 4000+ very accurate rounds through it and is still going strong despite a fire cracked barrel.

The other is in 6.5-284, which shoots a dream.

Neither of these rifles have I had any quality problems and certainly no loose barrels.

They are my most used long range rifles and do what they say on the tin without any fuss.

I certainly would have no issues with buying one.

Cheers

Dave

I have four RPA Quadlites (do I win??): Repeaters in AICS stocks in 260 and 308 and single shot rifles in 22BR and 22-250 (fast twist). I don't know which one is the most accurate as each is so bloody accurate it's hard to separate them. I've had no loose barrel problems but they were all built by Stephen Armstrong (no longer with RPA) and I trusted him absolutely.

The only downside I can think of for F/TR would be the heavy bolt lift. This is a consequence of the 4-lug design which gives a short but heavy bolt lift but fast lock time. They're great rifles.

Cornishman.

Can somebody point me to the above mentioned loose barrel threads?

I quite fancy an RPA myself.

Likewise I would like to here more about the supposed loose barrels as I hadn't heard or come across any problems.

Cheers

Dave

Guest dasherman

Just changed a barrel on one. 6mmbr to 6.5/284 and while you could not have unscrewed it with your bare hands it was by no means tight. If I used a longer bar on the action wrench its weight would of made it unscrew.

They obviously use the "just nipped" benchrest style of barrel tightening - I prefer using a torque wrench and 80 - 100 ft lbs :D;):D

... Quadlites ...

The only downside I can think of for F/TR would be the heavy bolt lift. This is a consequence of the 4-lug design which gives a short but heavy bolt lift but fast lock time. They're great rifles.

Cornishman.

If they're the same mechanism as my CG-2000, the heavy lift is because they use a (?sp) Bellville washer (spring disc) arrangement to power the firing pin instead of a conventional coil spring. This results in a high preload which makes the cocking harder and in fact the CG (and NZ Millennium later variant) use a roller bearing to ease the cocking load. The number of lugs isn't the problem.

Chris, NZ

Archived