6mmbr light strikes

kaduflyer

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a similar problem with my 6x47 Swiss Match. 

Originally designed for LR Primer RUAG brass I have been necking down and fire forming 6.5x47 Lapua SR Brass and using Murom 223 Primers. 1 in 5 will initiate and fire, the others don't till the powder load and bullet is removed then they will initiate?

1. I've checked firing pin protrusion - this is something you should check to rule a mechanical issue out.

2. Strip and thoroughly clean the bolt and firing pin assembly - possible accumulation of crud preventing full protrusion.

3. I've bought BR4's, Murom SR Magnums, CCi 400's and 450's to try as I've been told Murom 223's dont like the cold! Can't see this myself but...

4. Your primers don't look like they're seated too deep or flattened through excessive seating force so i think we can rule that out?

5. Found this on the net when researching my issue:

.075 vs .0625 firing pins and small primers?

If the larger pin has a properly shaped tip (smaller radius at the edges lager in the center, not a hemisphere), fits the hole well, and the hole has a sharp edge, it will not be a problem. The problem is that this is hardly ever the case for factory actions.

I bush firing pins down to .062 and turn the pin to fit. You will be able to run higher pressures before cratering a primer. There is also the added benefit of firing pin guidance when bushed properly. You get rid of the funnel Remington has in there and guide the pin straight the whole way.

Let me know if a primer change resolves your issue and I'll do the same if/ when i get mine sorted. 

Best of luck bud.

3 hours ago, stu47 said:

I'm having a similar problem with my 6x47 Swiss Match. 

Originally designed for LR Primer RUAG brass I have been necking down and fire forming 6.5x47 Lapua SR Brass and using Murom 223 Primers. 1 in 5 will initiate and fire, the others don't till the powder load and bullet is removed then they will initiate?

Although I also have a 6x47 Swiss Match barrel using RUAG cases, is it another coincidence that I am also experiencing misfires with the Murom standard SR primers in a Keppeler MR in .223?

The statistics so far have yielded approx. 3 out of 20 rounds after three sessions and special attention was paid to consistent primer seating depth. So far all other primers (Federal GM , CCI Standard & BR-4) have ignited flawlessly.

Not sure if this applies to small rifle Muroms but when experimenting with LR Muroms I got multiple failures to fire at first attempt only to fire just fine when re-tried.

I checked primer dimensions vs the CCIs which I had used before to find the Murom cups .007" less deep.

I was priming by feel as per thousands of CCIs beforehand but  failing to bottom out the Muroms.

So...first strike completed seating...second strike fired reliably.

I now seat Muroms to a depth which, visually compared to CCIs, looks a tad too deep and they fire reliably.....and reduce ES markedly.

On 05/02/2018 at 1:40 PM, kaduflyer said:

Using a remmy action 6mmbr just started using gun after purchase I found only 1 out of 5 rounds fired using br4 primers and h4895 powder any ideas pic of the strikes  would normal small rifle primers be better ? 

ED605C53-2C52-44D4-AE24-54924CC62FA5.jpeg

Yes, changing primers may well help.

After reducing firing pin strength in my 308 I was suffering light strikes with BR4s. Changing to another primer sorted that out completely.

Archived