Problems re-sizing 6BR brass

Elwood

I have 400 once fired Norma 6BR cases ( not fired in my chamber )that I'm trying to re-size using a Redding body die and then a neck bushing die.

I can just about chamber the cases but I cannot close the bolt? on one case I did have to knock the case out with a cleaning rod! I also have some loaded lapua cases that load fine. The head space measurements are the same as is the case length, but on measuring the Norma ammo before and after re-sizing the case wall measurements stay the same? I have measured just above the extractor groove and the measurement is .471 for the Norma and on the Lapua it is .468, could this be the problem?

I thought the idea of the body die was to re-size the whole case except for the neck or is it just for bumping the shoulder back?

One more thing, the Norma brass has been fired through a tight neck chamber as the necks measure .270 fired.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Had a similar problem with my 338, got 400 pieces of RUAG brass fired in a 338 AWSM, my chamber is a min SAAMI spec, AI's are chambered with MAX SAAMI spec reamer.

I have full length dies and found that the re-sized RUAG brass chambered, but was hard to extract - with virgin LApua brass, the problem did not exist.

Sounds to me like the used brass has not been fully re-sized in the reloading process,

I took .040" off my FL die in order to size the RUAG 338 cases a bit more than normal to no avail, it seemed to me that the base of the case just above the extractor web wasnt being resized enough.

This may be what is happening to your cases, just a theory mind, no basis to say I am right :blink::D

Just maybe???but perhaps the case is not fully going into the body die,cut off a section of a feeler guage that will give an only just sliding fit between the shell holder and case and then offer up to the body die to resize.Worth a try,cheers Onehole.

It would appear to me that the die isn't sizing the case walls enough, it's only re-sizing it about 2 thou smaller, but I think it needs to be about 4-5 thou smaller to match the Lapua

Three measurements taken from Lapua, the Norma run through the body die and the fired Norma, I have taken measurements from the shoulder, just above the extractor groove and in between the two.

Lapua shoulder, 459 middle 464.5 extractor 468

Norma re-sized 460, 465, 471

Norma fired 462.5, 466, 472

You need a Redding small base body die *RD77201 in Sinclairs catalog OR bin them and buy new brass for a new gun.

Neil, that is exactly what my contact in the US told me. Looks like that's the way to go, they are only $48 so I will risk that before dumping 400 cases.

Not wanting to go to any lenth here !!!!all i will say is that, It sounds to me that them cases that you have got , could of had a good stiff load through them by the person that own them first,,,

I know for a fact that if i fire a hot load in my ai 308 they will not chamber?? As the case exspands just infront of the web??? Then they have to be full lenth resized, as dasher man says on a redding base body die,, I will bet that this is what is happening to your cases???

If as you say you are full lenth sizeing,,, then your die cannot be going all of the way down the case?????????????

Last point??? What the hell are you using second hand cases out of an unknown chamber for????

That rifle of yours is spon new :blink:

As i have said before!!! just ask if you need any help???

F2n

The cases in question are factory fodder, Norma Diamond line, I got them from a friend at a give away price, he in turn got them from the person who fired them and is sponsored by Norma.

I hear what you are saying Darrel, looks like I might have to buy some Lapua brass, it now leads me to believe this is where alot of my problems came from loading for the 22BR, as I used the Norma cases for these.

You will notice in the Redding catalogue that the small base dies cover most of the popular target and BR rounds.

This is because many competition shooters like to load these cases "HOT" and i mean hot, which causes them to expand just that little bit more on the case web area.

Normal FL sizing dies will not size this area adequately hence the small base dies.

The problem would be compounded if the cartridges were fired in an unknown chamber which may be a bit on the big size.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived