uso scopes a small review

A while ago I wrote some ramblings on how a few USO scope compared view wise to a S&B. Having got rid of my last S&B and with a few more USO arrivals I thought I would write some more verbage whilst on sticks for six weeks.

First up USO Sn3 3.8-22x44 with ARD. Tech specs are MDMOA lit ret, 1/4 MOA windage and elevation adjustments with EREK and No3 windage knob, USO 35mm rings. I bought this scope as well.....I got it for a good price from USO as an ex-demo. It was like new. I thought I would put it on a rimfire, but it is such a good scope it may end up on something else - build is very robust but without being huge like the 5-25x58 Tpal. Side by side on the range next to the Tpal I could see no difference in resolution or brightness during daylight hours. The Lo-Pro objective focus is easy to set and forgiving - not as critical as the side focus. Although I have not messed about with the EREK adjustment (the erector can be adjusted to get max elevation) I guess from messing about whilst bore-sighting that there will be about 65 MOA of usable elevation - same goes for the Tpal.

The pic shows the sn3 on the AI - I know the mounts are high; they are / were an experiment for the sn9s and in the background Tpal on cz700

007-Kopie.jpg

A word about the EREK turret - unlike other scopes the EREK turret will keep rotating after full erector adjustment is reached - so when set you need to know where turret twiddling is doing nowt. It is possible at the ends of the erector adjustments for them to stick a bit - I tried it when boxing the scopes. In practice it is moot as there is more than enough adjustment and the idea behind the EREK is to get you from 0 to 1k yard with one rev of the EREK. The EREK can be set as a zero stop.

MDMOA reticule - USO do not list it as a lit ret but they can illuminate the tube - which in effect illuminates the reticule, it gives about half the brightness of a true illuminated reticule. Consensus here has been that the lit ret on the MDMOA is more than bright enough at less than max settings for any hunting. Illumination control is by 11 position rheostat.

All in all I prefer this scope to my bigger Tpal or my past S&B PMIIs - it does what they do in a more compact package.

USO sn3 5-25x58 Tpal. Set up with GAP mil scale reticule 0.1 milrad elevation and windage adjustments. The GAP ret is about half way between a S&B P4 and P4 Fine in thickness. It is a nice thickness for me - I tend to loose thin rets. Parallax focus is down to 100 yards unlike the objective models to 50 yards or less. In short it does what a S&B PMII 5-25x56 does and one or the other is a matter of personal choice - I swapped a S&B for this scope as I wanted the turrets on my scopes to turn in the same direction and I liked the view through it.

038-Kopie.jpg

So how does the Tpal shoot - I lent the rifle to this female blonde nurse to find out - not having her own kit, ammo was Sako factory 168 grain match. Target is from a recent comp, 10 shots, 300m, V bull is 5cm. Shot prone from on top of a table with a 3 minute time limit and no rear bag or support or sighters. She seemed to think the Tpal was working fine. So it`s blonde proof.

SP_A0944-2.jpg

Last up for the moment sn9 10-42 x 80 objective. First concerns were mounting the thing - I changed my modified USO rails for a couple of Brugger and Thomet ones (many thanks Ronin) they were longer but flexed so got cut down and mounted with epoxy as well as the side clamps. The small bit of cantilever seems not to be an issue which I was less than sure about. The reduced height of the Brugger and Thomet mounts are usable as I got the 80mm-44mm diffuser and lens cap instead of the extension tube - otherwise the scope would soon touch the barrel because with the external adjustments the scope works like a cantilever and a small movement at the arse end is a big movement at the front. Anyway there is enough elevation for +2k yard without needing higher mounts or to use the sn9 with 58mm objective.

View, in a class of it`s own. During the day the 44mm diffuser seems to give a little more contrast but it is there to protect the objective somewhat from the muzzle brake. In the past I had a NXS 12-42x 56 which I could not get parallax free and in sharp focus at the same time.

Ret is EURO MOA, having a MOA cross and MIL side bracket, at 25x it looks thinner than a S&B P4 fine and at 42x like a P4 ret. Turret adjustments depend on where you place the turret adjustment cell. You can set it to MOA or Milrad adjustments - but you need to measure shots. I am on one click adjusting 0.22MOA at the moment. I may try placing the next turret cell in the next run on the picatinny rail and see if I`m closer to 0.25MOA per click. This was possible with the USO picatinny rail - if I was doing this again I would order the USO side clamp rails for the sn9s.

So I bought this scope to save weight believe it or not. I wanted to do away with the need for a spotting scope, this scope makes that possible. Seeing 338 holes on dark green targets at 300m has been no problem. Faster and less shifting about than using a spotting scope. I did try a Gene Davis optical booster on the back of it but eye relief is made very short - it is not usable.

SP_A0900.jpg

David.

Not read and digested the review fully yet David, the SN9 looks awesome (a too often used adjective, but in this case warranted)

I now realise how large the scope is and its huge!

I also understand the need for the extra height above the barrel now, it must be difficult preventing "cant" effect?

This is going to be fun to shoot and makes 2k definately ON :blink::D

Hi Ronin, I have a uso bubble on it to help with the cant but so far not noticed it.

Pics more of a profile view - barrel is 27" plus brake for scale.

MOA - will be more than enough, in theory 300moa of total elevation travel. so if you lost half through zeroing and add 20moa with a USO base - a very easy 170moa. May be more important for LR use is the click range adjustment - from about 1/20 moa to 1 moa per click, so you can set it up to have small POI movements per click.

SP_A0891.jpg

David,

Trust you're recovering well!

The SN9.....blimey; a weapon in its own right; good weight save! :blink:

Is it too bright without the diffuser? How is it at dusk / night (without the diffuser!)?

ATB

Matt

Hi BD,

I dont know about night performance - I will find out in about six weeks or so I guess. I plan on viewing a tree line at 350m.

I want to set it up with the Tpal and sn3 44 next to it at dusk through to dark. Then see what happens if I can find a light source to point it at. In theory I should be able to use about 11x-12x and have a 7mm exit pupil dia. I will also have more feedback then on how the lit rets work.

Hi David ,

Thanks for the great writeup - very interesting!!!!!! :blink::D

The CZ looks a nice tool - which model is it and how do you rate it buddy???

All the best.................

RAY................................. ;):lol:

Hi Ray,

Rifle is a cz 700 M1. No no longer produced and replaced by a cz 750 - which is a 550 action in a plastic stock.

The cz 700 was dropped because of production cost - hand fitted in a quality lamminate stock. Action made by Weatherby, barrel by LW or Steyr, later produced in the cz factory.

It has only ever been fed factory fodder S&B or Lapua 168 grain match. It had two choices - shoot it well or shoot it bad. It shoots it sub 1/2moa.

Action is rear locking lugs - 2 rows of 6 and clamp in barrel. Very easy to change. Several barrel configs were produced, standard 26", 20" bull barrel and fully moderated barrel.

Trigger is to die for after adjustment - the AI triggers feel agricultural by comparisson. Also chamber is much tighter than the 308 AWP.

As a pure target rifle it shoots a better than the AI`s, but the AI`s are much more robust.

David.

Hi Ray,

Rifle is a cz 700 M1. No no longer produced and replaced by a cz 750 - which is a 550 action in a plastic stock.

The cz 700 was dropped because of production cost - hand fitted in a quality lamminate stock. Action made by Weatherby, barrel by LW or Steyr, later produced in the cz factory.

It has only ever been fed factory fodder S&B or Lapua 168 grain match. It had two choices - shoot it well or shoot it bad. It shoots it sub 1/2moa.

Action is rear locking lugs - 2 rows of 6 and clamp in barrel. Very easy to change. Several barrel configs were produced, standard 26", 20" bull barrel and fully moderated barrel.

Trigger is to die for after adjustment - the AI triggers feel agricultural by comparisson. Also chamber is much tighter than the 308 AWP.

As a pure target rifle it shoots a better than the AI`s, but the AI`s are much more robust.

David.

Thank you very much David for the insight!!!!!! :blink::D

Most appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best...........................

RAY........................................ ;):lol:

Hi mate,

David, I am sorry to hear that you are layed up my mate!!!!Hope you get well soon,,

Thank you for the write up, It was nice to read about the uso scopes!!!! ( Very interesting)

"""" I can feel the bank book coming out again :D:D """""

All the best from Wales,, Darrel

Hi Darrel,

If you take the plunge on a USO, Jeff at USO is good people to talk to or I think Rob has a Tpal for sale also.

You can always drop me a PM or email for some boring tech details.

David

Archived