Footwear what do you use?

nemasis243

I,ve a pair of the bestards from bushwear, and so far they have been 100% waterproof, and very warm and comfortable.

During my days as whipper in at the pennine, we used to wear hoggs fell boots as part of the uniform. They broke your feet in, rather than the other way round, but were by far the best, and safest boots on the fells, and rock screes, there was. I never fell, or tumbled wearing those old fell boots, and wore three pairs out in 10 years. They were good, waterproof wise, providing they were well greased, but once resoled...bloody useless. The very best fell boots used to come from a cobbler in the little village of Caldbeck in the lakes [he,s gone now i believe] the place where the legendary huntsman, John Peel is buried. This chap used to make the real thing from proper kip leather, and also with the full studded sole[tackety boots] also, he made the small leather fell gaitors , peculiar to the lakes. The old farmers, huntsmen, and fellfolk still wear them now. I remember walking upstairs in a hiking shop in patterdale/glenridding one day, with them on...the guy took one look at them, and said, in front of a shop full of customers.." best hill boots available " and he didn,t sell them.

Likes a nice whip does dave :P

I like the look of the Meindls though, I agree the Hoggs form your feet to fit them but very well made I have two pairs of their brogues ( one for BEST) and they have and still do serve me well.

Redfox

I gotta say I had a pair of Rocky Bear Claw boots from Cabela's but all I got was massive blisters on my heal and ball of the foot so went to La Chameau with the blue lining (Verizinord?) and have never looked back although my original pair must be 6 yrs old. I have recently walked thro deep pools (bigger than puddles smaller than a swimmin pool :) ) and I got that cold feelin like water is in but it must be dead small hole cos I cant see the wet patch when I get them off.

Got my back up pair from Sportsman, on sale for well less than the std £115. So I'm good to go and no blisters ever.

Archived