What range finder do you use and how far will it range what etc. My bushnell elite has packed up, was ok to start but can't get a reading over 250-300 yds now and even when new wouldn't range over 1000 yds. If possible I'd like something that will range up to 1200 yds (in the real world) does such a thing exist? :)

I've got the bushnell 1000 yard model. No problems getting out to a known 800+ yards. For my shooting distances (under 400) it works just fine. only trouble I have is if I try to range through a pane of glass (out a window). Then it gets a little screwy with short readings (as in 200 yards for something that is half a mile away). I guess that moral of the story is not to try to shoot through a pane of glass at something a half mile away without first checking from the roof.

thanks

rick

My old style Leica 1200 will do what you want. Best reading was a big tree at 1310 yds which seemed believable.

Reliably ranges over 1000 yds. Scan is an handy function for planning around high seats etc.

I would definetly buy this again if I had to. Excellent piece of kit that has no options to fiddle and fanny about with as such but do's what it says on the tin.

Leica CRF 1200 is the one you want. Try Ebay and a seller on there called Scopestop. Customs may catch your parcel but you'll still save money. Got a CRF 900 from him earlier this year, cost Euro 650 here in a shop, got mine for......

Euro 280!

Have had the Swarowski Laser Guides since they came out, they are really very good, waterproof and switchable bettween yards / meters.

Battery life is good and optically they are as good as their bino's (single optic here though)

I use them instead of bino's whilst stalking - don't think there is anything better for price and compactness.

My old style Leica 1200 will do what you want. Best reading was a big tree at 1310 yds which seemed believable.

Reliably ranges over 1000 yds. Scan is an handy function for planning around high seats etc.

I would definetly buy this again if I had to. Excellent piece of kit that has no options to fiddle and fanny about with as such but do's what it says on the tin.

Agreed leica 1200 will suit your needs..............nothing to fiddle with just push the button and thats it............... :lol:

I had the old rf 1200 leica( til some b$%$%^^&^&d pinched it), looked at the CRF 1200but dont feel its as good as the earlier RF 1200 and you have to choose yds or mtrs when you buy no swap over, so got the latest Swaro 8x30 which you can change from one to another and it is first class and easily ranges further than the 1500 yds claimed + you get a protective belt carrier too.

So the swaro gets my "tried both" vote and it was few quid cheaper. Also beware of buying from the States as you will have no European guarantee, it will have to go back to the States with all the shipping problems and costs.

Redfox

• 3 months later...

Finally got the money together for the swarovki 8x30. Had it out today for the first time. VERY impresive bit of kit, far better than the bushnell 1500 I had before. Optics are superb and will range at distances I will never hit anything.( 1735 yards best to date.) :( Thanks to all those who gave advice. :blush:

Good choice.

Cry once and enjoy.

The cheaper ones seem ok until you try somebody elses and then the optics, general quality etc really show. A friends got a Newcon or something and thats not a patch on my Leica. Optics very dark and gloomy and the reading doesn't light up either so totally naff when the light is poor.

Archived