Help please, old scope info

I've just picked up an old scope attatched to a rifle. It looks quite vintage and has both adjustment turrets on the top. The turret has ZF4/S aus jena DDR printed on it.

Does anyone know what it could be? It seems very clear and well made and I'd like to find out as much as I can about it.

Sounds like German military gear, I think Jena were tied up with German military optics maybe before their Ziess tie up.

This may help;

http://homepage3.nifty.com/zielfernrohr/zielfernrohr_033.htm

If its milspec it will be good quality but may have been bashed about a bit.

Further reading has indicated excellent quality glass, this may also help, there is an ENGLISH button in teh top right hand corner.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/zielfernrohr/zielfernrohr_021.htm

A

Is it attached to a mauser k98k ? It sounds very much like one of several scopes issued on their sniper rifles. Check its serial numbers, and see if they match the gun....if they do, its worthless...send it to me, and i,ll get rid of the nasty thing for you. :angry:

I always thought Jena, to be a place.

Baldie, unfortunately it's not fitted to a Mauser, it's fitted to my new (old) BRNO 602 .375 that I just bought. Does it need the rifle with it to have any value at all?

No buddy, all old scopes from the war era are worth something, if in working order, especially in their cases.

Why dont you contact the royal armouries at leeds, they will tell you exactly what it is. Ask for Martin Pegler, if he is still there, he,s a world reknowned expert on sniper rifles and sights.

Hi Guys.

Jena is a city in Thuringia I believe !!!

The old scope you refer to was standard issue on old BRNO rifles.

John Reside, a retired keeper/stalker for the late Lord Lonsdale had one on his BRNO .270 Win. rifle.

Of the two turrets on top one was for vertical adjustment and the other was focus control.

Lateral adjustment was on the scope mounts and was very coarse, what we call in Cumbria, muck or nettles.

It was very strong and served its purpose well once set up.

Perhaps `njc` can pop a collimator into the barrel and check and see if his knobs serve the same purpose ?

HWH.

Thanks for the info.

Panther, I doubt the rifle will be anything made for the army, although I could be wrong. It's in .375H&H Magnum, so not something I'd regard as military. Something tells me that in the pressure of war, you'd want all your rifles shooting the same ammunition for availability reasons!

Archived