WHATS YOUR FOX CALL?

nemasis243

Heres a little post just to see what all you fox shooters out there use to call foxes, I know there are these lovely £400 machines ,I am more interested in small hand held calls, if you were going out the front door of the house for a nights foxing what would you take with you to get them interested?

I have done a fair bit over the years and I carry 4 , Andre Georgescus oz call,the alt bar call, the wam and I also use my hand :D . I paid £12 for a lovely wooden call at the CLA years ago used it a few times and the thing ended up on the end of the pull cord for the light in the bathroom, absolute crap ;)

So lads what do you use?

Guest Sprags

I use the palm of my hand, but I also carry a Andre Georgescu type whistle and a reed typr just as a back up in case my own squeak starts to resemble a farting noise.

I paid £10 for one off 'The Warrener' Mr Carey, it was made out of .222 case and it was wank........... Ive still got it somewhere, I keep it jjust to remind me never to buy crap again.... ;)

Regards,Sprags

i use my fathers home made wigeon calls which he made over 20 years ago, a brass 10 bore cartridge base with a 12 bore cartridge base pushed into it with abit of 25mm black water pipe over the lot and the excess brass folded over, cant fault it, loud, cheap... however tends to collect fluff in the pocket so you need to blow instead of suck if it aint been used for awhile haha!

Otherwise if i forget that i also just use the plam of my hand! Or if im sittin out and doing alot of squeeking i plug the Ipod into some speakers and let it loop on a sqeek call, (did press the wrong button one night and had a fox run in whilst wolfmother was playin ;) )

Andy

I love the Wam call, got it attached to a long lanyard sewn into my pocket, so i dont loose it ;) and also the old faithful left hand.

I tried the Andre Georgescus call but could never master it, sometimes if it's very windy I might try a few blasts on one of the Randy Andersons Primos calls.

To be truthful I've got a bit of a caller fetish :lol:;) Dont tell the wife to be :D

Steve

In my bag, goes a Raspy Coaxer (good for when the winds blowing hard and big open fields), a squeaky call I got from Attleborough Accesories which I really like, a Wigeon whistle (looks like a WAM call) seems to attract Fallow Bucks as well!, a couple of squeakers cut out of my dogs toys (I think these are great, your dog might get the hump though!).

I tend to use my hand most of the time, but it's always good to have a few variations to try your luck with. I've never tried one of the electronic calls, always been put off by the cost but I'd be interested to see one in action. I tried and failed miserably with a Primos call that you stuck in between the roof of your mouth and tounge, for some reason the sound of a retching man didn't seem to draw Charlie in! ATB Gareth.

I normally shoot evenings, last week I got two foxes in a valley that I heavily shot this year.

Used my mobile with varmint al's calls on it. They couldn't wait to come in.

Over all I shoot almost more by not calling and just observing from the highest or best view point.

Best call so far apart from varmint als would be the styrofoam - wet- glass method for me.

edi

I use the palm of my hand mostly, and recently got one of the 'foxcalluk' calls, brilliant call, very loud, I use it to get that extra bit of distance when required. Only downside is that the reed gets clogged up with fluff in my pocket, but can be easily blown out. The new version I saw at the game fair has a loop to attach a lanyard.

http://foxcalluk.co.uk/about.php

Cheers

Jinks.

My favourite is the bulb squeaker. Brings 'em in a treat!. It's range is limited, of course, to around 1-200 yds but it's called a lot of foxes for me over the years. It was originally bought for calling deer so it must be over 30 years old. I keep it in the top right-hand pocket of my jacket(I'm left-handed) in a small poly bag where I only have to press the pocket.

I also carry two of those Primos roof -of -the -mouth squealers, a tuneable wooden deer call and a Foxcall UK reed caller and try to ring the changes, along with the hand calls, during the session so as not, hopefully, to educate them. However, I do not recollect calling in a fox with the Foxcall although, having said that, I tend to use it as a longrange call or on very windy days. I have very few places where a fox can be seen coming from a distance so it's difficult to say.

I also have an electronic call, the Callmaster . The most effective is the cubs fighting or playing, although it may be best at this time of year because of the number of this seasons cubs around. It certainly works.

The effectiveness of calls seems to be somewhat dependent upon what others are using. If the fella on the land next door is using the same model as you, then the foxes may well become educated, I think. The answer is to use something different or new.

I have to agree with ejg223 that one of the best ways is to sit on a vantage point and wait. I have shot a lot that way and they don't get educated either. I also stalk as if deerstalking, slipping from cover to cover, it's suprising how many foxes are about during daylight.

When lamping I use calls about 50% of the time, I have found spotting eyes with the lamp and then stalking to the location to be very effective and less educational (for foxes).

Peter

I have found I get the best results from sucking air between my bottom lip and my teeth. Also, I carry around a widgeon caller and one of them whistles made from the brass ends of 2 cartridges. Alternatively I bring the brother with me and he uses the palm of his hand quiet effectively :angry:

Paul.

Another vote for the Crit-R-Call Peewee, i always talk this out. This call has been the downfall of hundreds of foxes, and it keeps on scoring. You can get a number of different sounds out of this call from bird chirps and rodent chitters, rabbit squeals through to hare squeals. I did buy a foxcall.uk, but like others i cant recall getting a fox in with it.

As others have said, varied calls to save educating your vulpine. The Crit-R-Call is so versatile, its hard to even think of using a different type.

peewees.jpg

All the best,

Jay.

Guest luckyjohn99

I have one of these £400 looks like a stereo and its a pile of s**t never seen a fox with it yet gunna bin it anyone tell me of anything else that does work...john

John,

just came back from a walk about.

Called one in to 80yds with my mobile phone and varmint Als calls.

I'm just using that because my kids broke my glass plate for the styrofoam.

Point I'm trying to make is that my mobile is actually very quiet compared to the real

calls, but hey two times out and three foxes.

Maybe try a bit quieter.

edi

on my foxpro fx3 there and 31 calls not sure whether to use fox calls of kiss of death or screaming rabbit anyone advise me please

Hi John,

Personally I prefer to use either the pheasant in distress or one of the hare calls ( that works best for me here ) . Make sure you do not have it too loud though. This is a big mistake that people do with electronic callers ( not just the Foxpro ). Set the volume quite low and let it call for 3 or 4 minutes. leave it for a few minutes and then try again. If nothing appears, try changing the call or increasing the volume slightly . I usually do this for 15-20 minutes before moving to a different position.

The foxpro is a deadly call, when used at the right time, and at the right time of year. I,ve killed lord knows how many in the past with mine. Anyone who has foxed seriously knows how hard it can be at certain times, eg, when the dogs are looking for shags..what ###### use is a squealing rabbit then ? bugger all good. Pop the old foxpro on, with a vixen shouting " come and get some foxy snatch fella,s " and get ready . :D Killed many a vixen with the cubs in distress calls too. Fox and woodpecker is another slayer. Foxpro,s have brought us foxes from miles away.

I,ve had one for several years, before there was an importer here, and the product, and the company is first rate. Check out any of the US coyote sites to see just how highly regarded they are. true, certainly not the be all and end all, and we dont use it, unless we have to, but it does bring the difficult ones in, that hand calls dont.

Archived