help with 6mmbr variation

n8ess

Hi Guys,

Could anyone offer advice, I have spoken with my FEO today regarding a variation for 6mmbr, as per Cols advice I said I wanted it to enable me to shoot a heavier bullet with greater long distant accuracy. He said that as I have a 223 for fox at the moment it would be unlikely that head office would grant me the BR on fox alone, and stated that as I do not have land holding Deer then he could not recommend it on those grounds either.

To be fair he is very helpful and is prepared to give me full support on my application. He has confirmed that my ground is not an issue as I have more than sufficient for the calibre.

I currently have an open license on all of my rifles and was hoping for the same on the BR, he his sending me the forms out for my variation and suggested that I put as much information together as possible to support my case.

I would appreciate any advice which might help.

Thanks

Neil

Guest varmartin

Tell him the land you do have holds deer....it is impossible to prove other wise, any way if a deer does venture on to your land what are you going to control it with ??

Tell him the land you do have holds deer....it is impossible to prove other wise, any way if a deer does venture on to your land what are you going to control it with ??

I thought about that but he also said they would need a DSC1 or similar deer course as well before they would grant it???

Neil

Hi Martin

Could you clarify that the BR is acceptable as a deer cartridge, when my FEO spoke at first he wasn't sure if the BR was deer legal.

Thanks Neil

Hi Ness ,

Hope you don not mind me saying that if you FLO does not know whether a 6MM BR is legal for deer , how can he assess that its not suitable for fox!!!!!

And yes the 6MM BR is legal for deer in england and wales , and can be loaded accordingly!!!!

As for asking you to do the DSC level - same applies here!!!!

This is a problem that you can encounter with different force areas , they seem to make up there own rules which can cause difficulties!!!!

If you are a member of the BASC or other, have a word with them and explain the situation / i am sure they can help!!!

On a personal note , i have found Devon and Cornwall FLO as good as gold and very helpful!!!!! :D

As for DSC level one , i am looking forward at having a go in November - should be a good experience!!!!

There is no reason if you stipulate that you want to use the 6MM BR for the control of foxes and as such on windy nights and days you can use heavier bullets ( which drift less ) to minamalize the risk of wounding - Hence the reasonable excuse!!!!! :D

Just my insight and hope you do not mind.................

All the best....................

RAY............................................ :D;)

Your 223 is a light carry day time rifle with a small scope on it so as to not add excess weight, the scope in question does not have good light gathering abilities due to the small objective lens.

The 6BR will be a lamping rifle where weight isn't an issue and the scope will weigh at least 2lbs due to the size and ability to gather as much light as possible for night time shooting.

Also include what the others have written above.

Thanks for the advice guys, greatfully received as always, I am amazed how opinions can vary from force to force, surely it is time they had some continuity about how they handle variations, I will let you know how I get on, hopefully it won't be too long before I can join you boys in the 300-500 yard club.

Thanks again for the advice

Neil

A 2 lb scope?? Your gonna justify a bigger rifle on the fact(?) a scope weighs 2 lbs.?

I have heard some lines of B.S. but thats one of the best yet. :)

Maybe I should have ya over and explain to Angel why I need a Chey Tac M200 in .408CT.

If the FEO buys that reasoning let me know....I think I can find a Bridge to sell him.

308Panther

Panther,

I was having a good old laugh at your thread, then I realized what time you posted it, I though I hit the computer early some days but you take the biscuit. :lol:

Cheers

Neil

Panther,

I was having a good old laugh at your thread, then I realized what time you posted it, I though I hit the computer early some days but you take the biscuit. :)

Cheers

Neil

hi Neil

panther is from the USA so is on a different time frame to us, but yes there are some people that get on here very early, i used to start work at 4 so used to look in about 3,30 but i don't work that shift now

ATB

Colin :lol:

hi Neil

panther is from the USA so is on a different time frame to us, but yes there are some people that get on here very early, i used to start work at 4 so used to look in about 3,30 but i don't work that shift now

ATB

Colin :lol:

That explains it then, It didn't even cross my mind about the boys across the pond. :)

Cheers

Neil

A 2 lb scope?? Your gonna justify a bigger rifle on the fact(?) a scope weighs 2 lbs.?

I have heard some lines of B.S. but thats one of the best yet. :)

Maybe I should have ya over and explain to Angel why I need a Chey Tac M200 in .408CT.

If the FEO buys that reasoning let me know....I think I can find a Bridge to sell him.

308Panther

Get that bridge packed up and shipped over because it works.

Yes,

I am in the States,and with the time differance I am about 6-8 hrs behind you guys.

But I also work our 2nd shift,my hours run from 2 pm till 10 pm.

If you factor in the time differance it would be like I was working your 3rd shift.

So it appears like I am up early and posting ...when in reality I am getting ready for bed.

The clock on the site also adj for the location.

Say, I post something at 12 noon,my time....on your end it will read I posted @ 6pm

If you post something at 12 noon your time it will read it was posted @ 6am my time.

If I remeber correctly you can adj the clock in the "My Controls" tab to personalize for your location and taste.

308Panther

Oh Yeah, Before I forget...Buyer pays the shippin on the Bridge,

order me a dozen, will they fit in a 25kg Fedex box :):lol:;)

As far as I am aware it is not a legal requirement to hold level 1 prior to the grant of a deer caliber. talk to BASC, the thing is if we lay down on a point it may well become policy then law as we would all doing it anyway. Dont let them get away with making up the law to suit themselves. They tried it with me and BASC nailed them after I would not believe that a law had been introduced a few years ago that affected rifle ownership. buying stalking by the day. All utter crap.

One as a lighweight daytime carry rifle, the other as a night time longrange tool is IMHO the way to go and add a few deer on your permissions in but this will be checked with the landowner/permission giver. No deer and they will try and keep you down to .22, it could be hard to argue that one.

A

Alycidon is correct. It is not a legal requirement o have DSC 1 or any other deer qualification. His advice to contact the Firearms department of BASC is good. The guys there will help you (If you are a member). Do talk to them. They have assisted me on many occasions, some a lot more contentious that the situation you describe n8ness. Go for it.

David.

George Wallace certainly knows his stuff. I'm sure he can give you the right advice Neil. He helped me some years ago,when he was with BASC. If you are at the Midland, come by the Kei River Safari stand, on Gunmakers Row and say hello. That invite goes for any forum member too. It would be good to put faces to names.

David.

Hi Neil, sorry for taking me so long to get into this discussion! I cant really add anythin else that hasn't been said apart from good luck getting it, and you better have a duster ready becuase once you get you 6mmBR and get it to shoot im afraid to say the 223 aint gona get much time in the field and may start to collect dust! 6mmBR is a fantastic little round, i think you'll really enjoy it!

Archived