Shot My First Batch...

roundyuk

Roundy

Snake man is right - but i'll let you find that out

In terms of overall length - have you measured the distance to the lands for your chosen bullet??

If not and you are guessing there is a danger that you go overly long with coal and jam the bullet into the lands and get a pressure spike - especially with a stout charge.

There is a big difference between the coal to lands for my 2 308 rifles with a Lapua scenario 155gr - the sako trg goes 2.925" but my blazer r8 is 2.8 and change (can't remember offhand)

Again I could be way off but better I look like a prat here than you have a drama when said rifle goes bang

I too have done the wobbly bench thing. Waste of time. Go prone with a proper rest.

Also save yourself some time, if the stock is crap change it out for something else and remove one source of error. Hard to drive a tupperware stock consistently in the field.

I am sure there are plenty of options. I have one with the Bell & Carlson on it - stiff as hell.

Personally I would not load over such a wide weight range. My experience of the 308 is that it tends to shoot better with loads that use more of the available case capacity rather than less.

I have done a lot of reloading for 308 but have NOT used N150 however checking the Viht data for bullets of 175gr to 180gr there are 3 suggested ranges 36.8gr - 43.5gr (175HPBT) 39.2 -42.1gr (175 Scenar) and 38.3 - 46.3 (180gr SP). The shape of the SP probably makes it less representative.

So MY approach would start loads at 39gr ( 38gr certainly) as they are going to be safe. You can perhaps argue 3 of your loadings are at or below the minimum recommended loading, not good practice. I would then look for a load up to 42.0gr and maybe a little bit beyond. Anything above 42.0gr I would be being careful and stopping if it looked remotely iffy. Nothing to be gained by pushing it and it just stresses the kit.

I too have done the wobbly bench thing. Waste of time. Go prone with a proper rest.

Also save yourself some time, if the stock is crap change it out for something else and remove one source of error. Hard to drive a tupperware stock consistently in the field.

I am sure there are plenty of options. I have one with the Bell & Carlson on it - stiff as hell.

Personally I would not load over such a wide weight range. My experience of the 308 is that it tends to shoot better with loads that use more of the available case capacity rather than less.

I have done a lot of reloading for 308 but have NOT used N150 however checking the Viht data for bullets of 175gr to 180gr there are 3 suggested ranges 36.8gr - 43.5gr (175HPBT) 39.2 -42.1gr (175 Scenar) and 38.3 - 46.3 (180gr SP). The shape of the SP probably makes it less representative.

So MY approach would start loads at 39gr ( 38gr certainly) as they are going to be safe. You can perhaps argue 3 of your loadings are at or below the minimum recommended loading, not good practice. I would then look for a load up to 42.0gr and maybe a little bit beyond. Anything above 42.0gr I would be being careful and stopping if it looked remotely iffy. Nothing to be gained by pushing it and it just stresses the kit.

Very interesting looking at the VIHT data, interesting though as those specs are for 1/12 twist, the Hornady sheet I used is for 1/11 I believe, my rifle is 1/10.

I've borrowed a rear bag for Saturday and I'll see how it goes, fingers crossed!

Oh, and the B&C medalist is on my want list :-) I shot a Brock & Norris Howa 1500 that had a B&C stock - lovely

Archived