Whats this ammo?

PhilM

Picked up 100 rounds of Milsurp 308 recently, and didn't think much of it until I started to have a reasonably high misfire rate.

Here's the ammunition, its marked SM .308Win, but what is interesting is the marking on the head of the case, it appears to have removed the original case markings, and from what I can tell has shifted the base of the case (inc primer) further forward than normal, resulting in light strikes onto the primer.

Anyone seen it before?

Cheers

post-10380-0-89917700-1492015409_thumb.jpg

post-10380-0-20052500-1492015451_thumb.jpg

The primers - presumably Berdan - are large and the stab-crimps are fairly unusual.

The fluting on the case head was common in some nations pre-WW2 but I haven't seen it for a long time. As Mr Ceterizene says, the Nato symbol (cross over a circle) is still visible on some examples.

As for origin - I suspect either a former Combloc country or Middle Eastern state e.g. Iraq or Iran, Iraqi Milsurp 7.62x51mm ammo has certainly been sold here in the past.

It's German MEN, with the headstamp ripped off. It shoots alright being fair.

147gr 7.62x51 iirc.

Isn't the 7.62 military ammo have more charge than our 308 ?

Less charge I'd bet. Thicker brass to allow for a more generous chamber, without suffering case-head separations.

The issue with 7.62/308 isn't charge, its headspacing, atleast that is my understanding. 7.62x51 in a 308win is fine, 308win can be fine in a 7.62, assuming it headspaces OK with 308 gauges......in most modern applications it'd be just fine.

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will be quick to jump down my throat!

Not more charge or less charge, a different charge!....with a different pressure curve

Most Military ammunition manufacturers use non commercial powders purchased in bulk and not available off the shelf.

The ammo has to meet certain specs, which you all know about, and Mil brass may or may not be thicker.

Lake City certainly isn't thicker, not in .223 anyway, and has generous capacity which allows higher pressures, most obvious in match chambered .223 straight pulls

5.56 pressures are around 62000 psi where .223 is about 55000. Don't quote me on those though, and 7.62 used to be proofed to 30

Tons in comparison to .308 at 20 tons (or maybe it was the other way round)

Anyhow, they test in a different way now so you can't draw a comparison

So not more or less charge, coz they use different powders, but different pressures

Chamber dimensions are effectively the same

Not more charge or less charge, a different charge!....with a different pressure curve

Most Military ammunition manufacturers use non commercial powders purchased in bulk and not available off the shelf.

The ammo has to meet certain specs, which you all know about, and Mil brass may or may not be thicker.

Lake City certainly isn't thicker, not in .223 anyway, and has generous capacity which allows higher pressures, most obvious in match chambered .223 straight pulls

5.56 pressures are around 62000 psi where .223 is about 55000. Don't quote me on those though, and 7.62 used to be proofer to 30

Tons in comparison to .308 at 20 tons (or maybe it was the other way round)

Anyhow, they test in a different way now so you can't draw a comparison

So not more or less charge, coz there use different powders, but different pressures

Chamber dimensions are effectively the same

Doesn't Bisley forbid the use of 308 ammo in 7.62 rilfes ? or the other way round ?

Doesn't Bisley forbid the use of 308 ammo in 7.62 rilfes ? or the other way round ?

No, there is or was a Rule 150 thing, I think it has something to do with short throats.

I don't dabble in TR so don't know much about it

All the ammo they supply for the Imperial is GGG 155gn with thew Sierra Palma bullet

Archived