F/TR rifles?

Found out there is an f-class club started on my local range so I am joining them, I had planned to go straight into open class but thinking maybe I should try my hand in the f/tr class for a year or 2, what I am wondering is what .308 win rifle I should buy if I do go that way? Been looking around and I know that savage do the F/TR rifle but as much as everyone raves about how well they shoot I just dont fancy one. I had been thinking more along the lines of an accuracy international or a sako trg, I know these are more tactical style rifles but they should shoot well off the bipod/rear bag setup, right???????

I've been flirting with this issue as well and thoughts so far are:

1) The AICS stock, or any other stock with a cut-out for the left hand (including the TRG), doesn't work well with a bag. I find it very difficult to get a precise aim with these stocks. They're great for practical shooting but not for F-TR (opinion). I've tried the rear momonpod but couldn't get on with that either.

2) What bullets are you going to use? Some go for fast/flat with 155g Palmas and others swear by heavy jobs (210g) and the Americans seem to shoot a few in between as well. My rifle shoots best with 168g bullets that are not god for longer ranges - they take too much wind. My best thoughts at the moment are to go with 155g bullets (Sierra, Lapue or Berger) and a long-ish barrel in 1:13" twist.

3) This competition is all about reading the wind correctly: A quarter minute gun won't win you any prizes unless you're also good at reading the wind.

4) What about an old Target rifle and put on a scope?

Cornishman

Guest varmartin

I was thinking along the same lines as Cornishman....find a Parker Hale 7.62 target rifle or..like i did a Musgrave 7.62.

Bolt on a scope base and a good scope and it will shoot as good as you could wish for.

Craigy

if you want an F Class rifle ive recently finished one - it was going to be complete for the start of this years season, but the stock was late, I ended up completing it, getting it proofed and its now in the cabinet waiting for next years season.

The future is in the balance at the moment so I will sell if your interested, price via PM mate.

Basic spec - Barnard P Action, Broughton 284" barrel, (9 twist), shehane tracker stock, 20 MOA Barnard rail, Barnard trigger chambered in 7mm/270 WSM - .312" nk and throated for 180 Bergers.

Fired 2 proof rounds only.

DSCN0984.jpg

All you need is to fit a scope, make some rounds and you will be competitive :blush:

Alternatively 308 AIAW or Sako TRG would be nice for this side of the discipline - dont discount the Blaser LRS2 either - if you can fine a 2nd hand LRS1 they are better constructed.....

A mate of mine recently bought a sako trg 22 and it shoots just about every load hes put through it, to the extent where he is laughing all the time,

46g of varget and i think n160 and it simply shoots nearly under 1/2 inch all the time.......

i would strongly suggest you try one out if you get a chance....

i find the stock fit very good and i'm a leftie, very comfortable to shoot...

Craigboy,

First I would decide what you want - to shoot F Class / TR to win or do you want a tactical rifle and find some comps which it can be used in. It`s a question only you can answer and no answer is right or wrong.

If it is to win / compete then the rifle specs would be a tad different than a tactical rifle - something along the lines of Ronins in 308 with a Sinclair F Class bipod on it.

The flip side is a TRG or AI etc can be used but it`s not the best tool for the job. As an example here many comps are shot out to 300m - some are police / target type comps. Many people use TRG`s (at a typical comp I would expect to see 50+ TRG police rifles with S&B scopes and quality match ammo - so fair kit. Then comes along one bloke with a Millenium 6BR, Nightforce scope and heavy front rest / bipod. He may not win every comp but he will not be far from the top most times. I dont think his kit would fair so well in a mil comp though.

With a TRG or AI I think you are in with a good chance at Mc. Queens out to 200m - they have won that comp a few times. Get up to 300m and 6.5x47 starts to have a big advantage.

Middle ground could be found with something like an RPA Interceptor in 308 with match chamber and quality cut rifled barrel in a slowish twist for 155 grain pills. Trigger RPA or jewel would be better than either TRG or AI. Sinclair or Harris bipod.

David.

Craigboy,

First I would decide what you want - to shoot F Class / TR to win or do you want a tactical rifle and find some comps which it can be used in. It`s a question only you can answer and no answer is right or wrong.

If it is to win / compete then the rifle specs would be a tad different than a tactical rifle - something along the lines of Ronins in 308 with a Sinclair F Class bipod on it.

The flip side is a TRG or AI etc can be used but it`s not the best tool for the job. As an example here many comps are shot out to 300m - some are police / target type comps. Many people use TRG`s (at a typical comp I would expect to see 50+ TRG police rifles with S&B scopes and quality match ammo - so fair kit. Then comes along one bloke with a Millenium 6BR, Nightforce scope and heavy front rest / bipod. He may not win every comp but he will not be far from the top most times. I dont think his kit would fair so well in a mil comp though.

With a TRG or AI I think you are in with a good chance at Mc. Queens out to 200m - they have won that comp a few times. Get up to 300m and 6.5x47 starts to have a big advantage.

Middle ground could be found with something like an RPA Interceptor in 308 with match chamber and quality cut rifled barrel in a slowish twist for 155 grain pills. Trigger RPA or jewel would be better than either TRG or AI. Sinclair or Harris bipod.

David.

Good sound advice!!!!

Two best callibre,s that i have come across seems to be One= 308, two= 6.5x47, And 6br

6.5x47 has far better ballistics than the 308,, As i see it this would be an advantage for score shooting???

6x47 Now this one sounds good to me for a varmint round and a bloody good foxing round??

6BR,, Fantastic,,, Just like a 6mm ppc on steriods :D:wub:

The choice is endless,,, Let us know what you decide????

Darrel

I hear what you are saying guys, this is what I was thinking that for an FTR rifle the stock design of the TRG22 and the Accuracy international arnt best suited to being shot off the rear bag, but when you look at the market for .308 win rifles allot of the good ones are tactical styled, I do really need something with a conventional style stock and in .308 win as I really just want to shoot FTR for a while to get to grips with it. Maybe an rpa would be more like the thing.PS this messge is coming from Florida, fund an indorr range up the street from me, going up later to let some rip out of an M16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Further to what Dave said, if you want to be competitive you need to take full advantage of what the rules allow in the way of rifle weight, barrel length, stock design, etc......

The problem with 308 is that at 1000yds it tends to drop into transition unless you are using 155 grain Lapua's or bergers.

In this transition area between super-sonic and sub-sonic the bullet becomes unpredictable in its performance, so in order to try and keep the bullet super-sonic at 1000yds barrel length is an important factor.

Ian.

hi guys

being reading through the thread and have the dilemma that harvest is dragging on and not got much time for the vermin shooting at the moment and am itching to play with my new 308 brought my self a remmy 700 police sniper special and have the chance of doing a bit of paper chewing with a mate he plays at 600 to 1000yrd stuff if i went with him one day would i reach to where he does and would i get any sort of accuracy with my 150 grn home loads they are under .5 inch at 150 yds so far

or do i need to get some real heads for the job and not let on to him . :P

thanks vermincinerator

another wet week forecast so will have to drop by a shooting supply shop and get some heads then got plenty of varget and some fireformed lapau case so con job it will have to be . got to find a bit of good weather then to find a good load but 44grn of varget in my 150 seems good dont know if it will push them fast enough.

Archived